Replacing Frost plugs

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Miss GG

Replacing Frost plugs

Post by Miss GG »

Hey can anyone offer any suggestions in replacing frost plugs. I have a '75 30ft Hardtop Express. I looked at the engines and realized it is going to be a bugger to replace due to lack of space. I have two 350 engines. These Canadian winters are extremely cold up here. I hope I don't have any further damage????
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

Auto parts stores sell rubber compression replacements. They drop in the opening and expand as you tighten the center bolt. About $3 a piece last time I've bought one.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Which plugs are leaking? If on the side and below the exhaust manifolds, may not be too bad to get to. If behind the block, the bellhousing and trans will need to be pulled.

I would replace with brass if possible but you can use rubber/expanding type as mentioned.

You can go to just about any auto parts store and buy a freeze plug installer tool. Long angled bar with adapters to fit the plug to drive into the block.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

If you choose a standard stamped frost plug, be sure to use a sealer on the outer diameter before you knock it into place. I use Permatex 2 on these but any similar prodect will do.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

I just prefer the rubber type, as I can take them out and really flush the block in the fall before I fill the blocks up with anti-freeze for the winter. Here on the Mississippi, we tend to draw a lot of mud into the blocks when pulling up to sand bars all summer. Its handy to pull the plugs out and squirt the hose around at least once a year to keep the water jacket spaces cleaned out.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
Miss GG

Frost Plugs

Post by Miss GG »

Thanks, I just picked some up and will see if works this weekend.