F-32 fresh water tanks

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

daylategeorge

F-32 fresh water tanks

Post by daylategeorge »

Hi Guys,
Has anyone had trouble filling their fresh water tank on an F-32? When I try to fill mine, about 15 seconds or so into it water starts overflowing the fill fitting. The tank is definitely not full but it overflows. Any ideas?
Thanks.
1978 F 32 Lilli's Pad
2008 Larson Cabrio 260
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: F-32 fresh water tanks

Post by captainmaniac »

Too fast of a fill rate, or plugged vent fitting. Or someone has replumbed and the hose from the fill to the tank is smaller than normal diameter.
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

On our 78 the vent line was just a hose run up higher than the tank top, and attached to one of the starboard hull side supports.It did not have a conventional hull vent fitting from factory....if yours is still like that I believe it can be seen by removing the stbd cockpit coaming panel, then you can clear it if needed and also check the fill hose from there, at least on the one we had.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Seen the fill hose drop and have loop in it that fill with water ( seen it happen on fuel tanks too )
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Mine fills pretty quick and the marina has incredible water pressure. It overflows from the top of the tank, so I think the vent hose is missing.
bssmnbll

Post by bssmnbll »

does anyone know where to get a replacement for the water tank on F32's. Mine only holds a little water, then starts filling the bilge. Guess taking it out will tell the story. Hell of a time right in middle of summer.
bssmnbll

Post by bssmnbll »

does anyone know where to get a replacement fresh water tank for a 76 F32??
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Got mine from tankdepot.com, or something like that. I have a thread on the subject for my tricab. Picked up a few extra gallons because new tank is pentagonal in cross section, vs an inscribed circle of same width.

Tip: Strip all of the packaging and inspect the product before you sign for it. Truck freight claims are not like small parcel claims.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

bssmnbll wrote:does anyone know where to get a replacement fresh water tank for a 76 F32??
If your tank is the original, it is a fibreglass tank with a lid screwed and glued on it, stuck in between the stringers.Very easy to repair, just get it out and fill with water and find leaks , then glass over. real easy actually. Good luck with it.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

mikeandanne wrote:
bssmnbll wrote:does anyone know where to get a replacement fresh water tank for a 76 F32??
If your tank is the original, it is a fibreglass tank with a lid screwed and glued on it, stuck in between the stringers.Very easy to repair, just get it out and fill with water and find leaks , then glass over. real easy actually. Good luck with it.
I took a look at mine and it looks like it would be a bugger to get out... screws every 2-3" around the entire tank ... and may need to lift up cockpit floor to pull it? Is the plywood 'cover' really the lid you refer to?
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Most All those screws you see, are the ones holding the top on to the tank sides, there are only a few long screws that go thru to the stringers.Actually once the deck is up it comes out easy.The only thing I had was the air unit which was installed there, you can just wire it up so it hangs there while you repair the tank.
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

Is the plywood cover glued to the fiberglass top or is it just sitting on top of it? Mine has a little dry rot in the forward starboard side and I would like to replace it
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke