10 meter advice on intake air and exhaust

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Drafter

10 meter advice on intake air and exhaust

Post by Drafter »

Over the weekend I decided to freshen up the intake ducts on my 10 meter sedan. I've seen this topic on this site a little bit but would like a little more clarification. My port side grill and accompanying cowling under it has the 4" exhaust duct for a single blower. The starboard side grill has (2) 4" ports leading into the engine room below my genny on center and directly above the engine room bilge. Of course there are also more linear intake vents forward of those. Can someone verify that the (2) 4" ducts behind the starboard grill are fresh air intakes vs. exhaust ports similar to the port side? I"ve always been astounded that Trojan would put the genny exhaust directly below the fresh air intake, to be exhausted to the other side which would bring in fumes and more importantly CO directly back into the boat? Should the (2) 4" ducts under the starboard grill have blowers on them as well as the port side? Or did they when new? I"ve decided to add (2) 4" inline blowers within those two lines to push exhaust air out of those ducts similar to the port side. They're mounted to the bulkhead wall in the lazerette. This brings up the question as to if they were intakes, will I now be starving my engines of fresh air? I've got a wifi thermostat that reads both cabin temp and engine room temp to my phone. When I pull back in to the marina on a hot summer day, my thermostat readings in the engine room are 130-140 degrees! My engines themselves are running normal 180-190 degree temps. It's not uncommon for my CO detector to go off after a while when anchored from my gen. I've double and triple checked my genny exhaust connections, and of course all is new. I attribute it to the air intake being directly above the genny exhaust outlet.
[img]
Exhaust Ports.jpg
Exhaust Ports.jpg (167.82 KiB) Viewed 4314 times
[/img]
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 10 meter advice on intake air and exhaust

Post by El L Sea »

Are you gas or diesel?
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
Drafter

Post by Drafter »

Gas
350 hp 454 Crusaders
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by El L Sea »

That would explain why my setup is different. Diesels. Wish I could be of more help.
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
Flyboy
Sporadic User

Post by Flyboy »

My 10 meter International is setup like yours. Intake on the starboard side and exust on the port side. We put extra weight on the starboard side so the engine/generator exust is under water, this has helped the exust problem from the generator.
1981 10 meter Trojan International
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I would consider the CFM with the engines running - especially when underway renders the blower issue moot.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED