My new taft rail

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bjanakos
Moderate User

My new taft rail

Post by bjanakos »

I just finished up my new taft rail. I deleted the previous owners construction grade pressure treated 2x6 and replaced it with Ipe. This wood is TOUGH and dense. The rod holders are drilled trough and mounted with backing plates, but the two mounts on top for the bait table had to be tapped for machine screws.

The finish is multiple coats of pure tung oil.

I made this little jig so I can start my hole saw for the rod holders and the perfect angle.

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: My new taft rail

Post by prowlersfish »

Looks great and Ipe is some good tough wood . But I wonder how it will hold up if a large fish hits hopefully ok
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Cool BJ, Did the rail you got work on your boat?

Larry
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Looks really good!
Currently Trojan-less :?
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

larryeddington wrote:Cool BJ, Did the rail you got work on your boat?

Larry
Hi Larry,

Believe it or not, I have not tried yet. The taft rail was a definite safety item and as soon as I sort out the exhaust issue, I'm going to haul out and re-do all the lower hoses, stuffing boxes, and re-condition my through hulls. I'll probably jump on that rail right after that. I've been sidelined most of the winter with a medical condition, but starting to come around now.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I put radiator drain valves in all of mine, however I am not in Salt Water. I think the threads are 1/4 NPT but just try a 1/4 NPT tread, if it is right then get the proper tap. I have drain on either side of engine and 2 or three on the manifold riser. The big plugs are a nightmare to get out and can break off so would leave them alone, I had to drill those and do some careful work with small cold chisel. If I had left them alone they would have been fine.

I just checked a 1/4 in NPT tap against one of the plugs I took out of the manifold and it is 1/4 NPT X 2 per engine, so total of twelve. All the others were as well. That is one in the lower middle of the manifold and one at the base of the riser and one on the side of the block. That is for Chrysler 318's. I think brass ones would be fine as you can get them out in the future. Bronze better. Mine came with steel ones in it.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink