1976 F-44 an Off Shore Boat?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

slipknot

Re: 1976 F-44 an Off Shore Boat?

Post by slipknot »

UGH! Horrible story! Anyway, I wont be bringing her down the coast. I flew up to see her this weekend and it seems the pictures were about 5 years old, (not unlike all the other boats Ive looked at), not to mention the JB Weld on the manifold of a triple nickel. He told me the engines were perfect and that his 'buddy' was a crack diesel mechanic. It needed all new belts and hoses just by looking at it. :twisted: Im not sure I will be getting another boat. Its been 20 years since Ive owned one and it seems the boating community has lost some integrity out here in CA. Ive surveyed 3 boats in the last year and they have all fallen short of the sales pitches.
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Maybe this will cheer you up: I looked at 11 1981 to 1985 tricabs. Flew to Ohio, new Jersey, virgiNia, and Tennessee, not to mention looking at 4 or so in maryland. Spent prolly $5k just shopping, because i took my own advice -- your best best boating dollars are those used to prevent you from buying somebody else's problem.

After yet another bad trip, I came home Sunday night. My wife did a search and found one that was listed over the weekend. I called on wednesday and had a contract on it by Saturday. Later found out that wife of owner was balling on the adjacent boat during the survey 'cuz she thought it would take a year to sell. I'd seen enough crap that I knew this was the one, and prolly overpaid accordingly because the seller hadn't been beaten down by tire kickers.

Somewhat schooled in boat systems and a mechanical engineer, I did a very thorough first look. I remember the owner asking if my first visit was the survey. I said "no, but this boat is a 5 hr. round trip from from my house. After I'm done looking, you'll either have a signed contract subject to an actual survey, or you'll never see me again."

He thought for a second day and said "Okay!"

Good luck!
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
slipknot

Post by slipknot »

:lol: Im glad you found the right boat! It took me 3 years to find my last one, and 2 years to sell it, I have to keep reminding myself of that. You have many more boats to choose from back east, all of ours seem to have been taken over by hippie squatters that have NO clue how to treat a boat. I got plenty to choose from if I want a bike bungee corded to the bow rail and a full size fridge duct taped closed on the aft deck. I dont know why they cant just ruin RV's like all the other homeless in SF. LOL
I seriously should just move to Florida if I want to find a great boat, but there are WAY too many Trump(ettes) out there.
Thanks for the encouraging words, Ill keep looking.....just not expecting
RonW

Post by RonW »

I just noticed your post from April and I assume that you've made the trip by now. However, I offer this.......
The F44 was designed to have two separate fuel tanks port and starboard in the aft cabin. But this meant two separate single beds. Owners must have complained (as I would have) and so there was an option for a queen bed in the centre of the aft cabin. This moved the fuel tanks to the centerline of the boat. This makes those boats (including mine) extremely sensitive to a following sea. And I do mean extremely.
Lake Ontario doesn't have long ocean swells, but can generate substantial waves close together. I've have some upper body workouts when I had to move the boat due to short vacation schedules. No worries with waves coming from anywhere ahead of abeam.
Ron
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

A Ocean can be as calm as a Lake and Lake can get as rough as a Ocean, as stated before pick your days. I have a F28 down here at Orange Beach, Al and take it out in Gulf Snapper Fishing all the time, but I am no going to do it in 4 ft seas nor would I want to
WillieTrojan (Owned F32, Willpower in Kinsale, Va)
Spanish Fort, Al

Looking for 33 International