Electrical Question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jsfish

Electrical Question

Post by jsfish »

In my 1975 F26 mounted under the AC/DC electrical panel is the item pictured below. Does anyone know the purpose of this? I think every DC switch on the board connects to it. I asked a few locals and no one knows what it is or its purpose. If its not required or needed it could clean up some of the mess of wiring when i get around to redoing more of the electrical.
Attachments
electrical.jpg
electrical.jpg (14.78 KiB) Viewed 3312 times
1975 Trojan F26 - 351 Mercruiser
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Re: Electrical Question

Post by P-Dogg »

First thought is, if Trojan was too cheap to seal limber holes cut in wood stringers, they are not going to pay to install electrical parts for looks. What does the electrical schematic in the owners manual say about them?
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Not sure that's oem Trojan but not sure its not . Looks like resistors .

Whats on the other side ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Often times a resistor board is used to decrease the 12VDC feed to power LED lamps down to 3V. It does look like something that was assembled by a previous owner to distribute power. I doubt, and I use that term with some hesitation, that it is factory.
Currently Trojan-less :?
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Follow the wiring. I suspect they go back to the helm. I'm with O&W, I think they are probably for indicator lamps at the helm. Have never seen this as original equipment and does not look like a factory wiring job.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
jsfish

Post by jsfish »

Often times a resistor board is used to decrease the 12VDC feed to power LED lamps down to 3V. It does look like something that was assembled by a previous owner to distribute power. I doubt, and I use that term with some hesitation, that it is factory.
I didn't think about that but it very well could be for the led's on the main board. Wires come from the back and return to the back of each inlet for power. There's no schematic that i could find. More than likely it is not factory, a lot of things had been redone, pieced together. This is mounted behind the fridge but just comes from the panel and goes back to the panel. Once i get things put back together i'll stick a volt meter on it.

Thanks everyone for input, one day at a time i'm getting her fixed up. For the most part its our fishing boat in lake Michigan but we do take day trips and few not far over nights. I'm redoing the floor now, last year right at the end of the year we had some nasty smells and mold coming from the bilge. Tore it out and found water in the bow that couldn't drain. Also a previous owner had some oil issues from not connecting the oil breather cap to the spark arrestor (had the wrong one on the carb), so it was fun cleaning all the oil sludge out. Engine compartment was clean so wasn't expecting what i found. Can drink out of now though!
1975 Trojan F26 - 351 Mercruiser