F26 Performance

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

The Dog House
Active User

F26 Performance

Post by The Dog House »

I launched my boat this past weekend and took it out for a spin. Surprisingly I was able to cruise at 21 mph instead of my usual 18 mph. The bow was higher out of the water which I'm sure was why I got the extra mph. After we got back to the dock I started thinking why it ran so good. I realized that this year I didn't have time to fill the water tank before I launched and I was planning on doing it once the boat was in the water. The water tank is under the V berth in the bow and holds 20 gallons of water (160 pounds). I think the lack of the 160 pounds allowed the bow to get out of the water better which led to the better performance. I'm going to try running with only 10 gallons (80 pounds) in the water tank and see if that improves my performance. When we plan on staying overnight on the boat I'll fill the water tank up, but otherwise I plan on keeping it half full. At the speeds I cruise at, an extra 3 mph makes me very happy! :D
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Re: F26 Performance

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Oh yeah the water makes a huge difference.

Whenever I go on a trip, I drain my water tank.
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

If that's it , try filling a cooler with water on back deck and see how it affects speed . if it makes little or no difference conceder moving the tank
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
lunkerbasserfishing

Post by lunkerbasserfishing »

Mine is located port side engine compartment, same boat.
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

I took my F26 out today with 10 gallons of water in the water tank. The boat easily cruised at 20 mph. 10 gallons is plenty of water for washing our hands, etc., and I really like the 2 mph increase in speed. I plan on keeping the water tank half full most of the time to improve the boat's performance. If I know we'll be staying on the boat for several days I'll fill the water tank and accept 18 mph for a cruise speed, but most of the time the boat will only have half a tank.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

congrats on the extra speeds, I generally carry no water on my F32 and other boats except for extended stays at which the conclusion of i run the water tank dry, no need for extra weight and fuel burn cheers!