AC raw water pump

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

tcollins2
2024 Forum Support
2024 Forum Support

AC raw water pump

Post by tcollins2 »

AC Pump froze up on me this weekend and needs to be replaced.
It's a March AC-5C-MD 1000 GPH 115V.
Kool Air makes a replacement pump PM1000 that says it's better because it can run dry and is thermally protected.
It's also much less $$.

Anyone use a Kool Air pump before?
1990 Trojan 12M International Express Detroit Diesels 6-71T's, 425HP
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: AC raw water pump

Post by prowlersfish »

I don't see much difference between the two. I prefer the water cooled (LC) March over any pump myself . you can look at Cal pumps too .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

tcollins2 wrote:.....It's a March AC-5C-MD 1000 GPH 115V.
Kool Air makes a replacement pump PM1000 that says it's better because it can run dry and is thermally protected....
In your case it doesn't matter but for others, pretty sure those pumps are not recommended in a gasoline engine compartment anymore. If that's where it's going you should get the water cooled sealed unit March makes. Here is an example: http://www.marchpump.com/pumps/series-3/lc-3cp-md/

They're all magnetically driven so they can all run dry. Having said that, because of their design (sealed or not, water or air cooled) these types of pumps need to be below the water line so they really shouldn't be running dry anyway. The design also makes them poor at priming the raw water circuit. Spring commissioning, winterizing, and sometimes going through a marine railway type of lock where the vessel comes out of the water are prime examples of when systems need to be manually primed sometimes. Some folks install a shut-off valve just after the pump so the system doesn't drain back when the vessel is hauled out temporarily.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
tcollins2
2024 Forum Support
2024 Forum Support

Post by tcollins2 »

Thanks. Just went for the exact replacement. Cost a few more dollars, but I know I won't have any additional issues.
1990 Trojan 12M International Express Detroit Diesels 6-71T's, 425HP