complete loss of steering

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Hiya Autumn

complete loss of steering

Post by Hiya Autumn »

Hello to all.
I recently lost all steering. Nothing wheel just kept turning and turning.
I found oil in the bilge near the ram for the steering.
I cannot at this time see where the leak is as I have no oil at all
I spoke with marine mechanic............$2000..................WHAT,...........he's having a laugh eh???

So I found the reservoir with the guage on top and the pump piston I guess and all the tubes etc and the piston under the rear deck.

My question ........is it really hard to fix ??
I see the instructions on the reservoir and it looks pretty simple. Am I being naïve at the possible simplicity?
I want to fill up bring to pressure in the hope of finding the leak.

Has anyone else had experience or similar issues that may be able to help??

Thank you
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: complete loss of steering

Post by prowlersfish »

fill it up to the full mark and pump it up and look for leaks . Could be seals , hoses or lines . Most cases not to hard to fix
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

You haven't provided any detail about the model of boat or brand of steering so it's difficult to say whether there's easy or poor accessibility which plays a large role in final labour costs. Your home port isn't listed so we can't figure in mechanical door rates; is it $75 per hour, $90, $125, etc.?

It sounds like you may have a bad seal in the steering cylinder but you need to confirm before doing anything. You should be able to get a seal kit and rebuild. Having said that, we don't know the condition of it so maybe the whole unit needs to be replaced which I suspect is the route they're taking. With some jobs, it's less time consuming and therefore cheaper to replace the entire piece of hardware rather than rebuilding due to the cost of labour and the length of time it takes to do. If you're handy and can rebuild it yourself (if the unit is still in reasonable condition), you'll save yourself some cash. If you don't know what to look for in terms of it's present condition, then I suggest you let a pro look after it so you don't spend time and money, and have it come back to haunt you when you really need your steering at a critical time.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Hiya Autumn

Post by Hiya Autumn »

Thank you for the input.

The model is a Trojan 1989, 35'

I am docked in Key Largo, Florida at Ocean Bay.

took a couple of pictures of the reservoir unit, I will put them up when I work out how to do it.
next weekend I am going to fill up system with oil and see what I can manage.

I am kind of under pressure as I have to move it in 3 weeks to new marina which is only around the corner, As the marina I am at at the moment has got so bad.
I may have to get sea tow to just tow it there if I run out of time.
Hiya Autumn

Post by Hiya Autumn »

varwwwclientsclient1web3tmpphp0pG4J2.jpg
varwwwclientsclient1web3tmpphp0pG4J2.jpg (20.23 KiB) Viewed 6648 times
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I assume you have a Hynautic system based on your description (pic did not load). Nothing in that system should take multiple weeks to repair. As mentioned, the likely suspects are each "end" of the system (helm and engine room). The helm units will leak but more of a drip, would not expect it to be catastrophic. That leaves the hose, steering ram and reservior which are all located right near each other. Big leak like that should be easy to spot.

A hose is the easiest of the three, it's pretty standard Aeroquip hose and even the fittings can be reused.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Looks like the boat is an International. Not sure if it had the same kind of steering systems as the F boats did, but you may be able to trace your lines a bit and look for where they are wet... the 'nice' thing about steering fluid is that it flows down hill and doesn't evaporate, so if you trace the lines from the highest point down, you'll have an idea of where the problem when you find the outside of the line is wet.
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

I had a similar issue two years ago on my '79 Tri-cabin. Mine was a cylinder with seals that failed and I had the cylinder rebuilt for about $150 at a local industrial hydraulics distributor. My local marina removed and re-installed the cylinder since I can't get down there due to age and physical condition. They also put the new fluid in, which by the way costs about $38/qt if you use the recommended fluid. You have to turn the wheel back and forth probably 100 times or so to bleed the system but it can be done relatively quickly. The steering itself will work without bleeding the system fully (at least mine did) so if it takes longer to fully bleed it at least you could move it.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin