10 Meter transom flex

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

low944

10 Meter transom flex

Post by low944 »

I noticed while climbing up on my swim platform the transom will flex some. I know that being an inboard the transom is not the reinforced kind, so hopefully its nothing to worry about. Is this normal? Does yours flex? I may reinforce with a board from starboard to port. Any thoughts?
Attachments
IMG_20170327_133936.jpg
IMG_20170327_133936.jpg (208.3 KiB) Viewed 5049 times
IMG_20170327_133837.jpg
IMG_20170327_133837.jpg (177.65 KiB) Viewed 5049 times
1982 Trojan International 10 Meter Express
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 10 Meter transom flex

Post by prowlersfish »

May need larger backing plates and reinforcement won't hurt . But I don't see it as a issue
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I agree, I wished they beefed up the transom glass a bit. There's a lot of stress from people getting on and off the swim platform which leads to gelcoat crazing around the brackets. I oversized the plywood backing plates by about 2x to help spread the load. I wouldn't worry about it structurally, it's really a cosmetic issue.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

The problem with flexing where hardware like bolts penetrate the area is that the more flexing there is the faster the seal will fail and allow water in. Depending on conditions, this could take years or less time than you think. In areas that are cored, this is not good. I've seen the results of too much flexing from the extra weight of platform extensions, dinghies and PWCs, add-on hydraulic platforms, outboards mounted on deck rails, etc. If flexed often enough, it's just a matter of time before it will have an undesirable effect. Spider cracks in the gel are just the first sign that loads are flexing enough to stress the area. Proper mounting and sealing practices, and taking measures to minimize movement is key to maintaining a seal that will last. And for those considering adding additional weight, just because an accessory is designed to be mounted back there like dinghy davits or a platform extension, doesn't mean it's a free pass and that your transom or any other area is designed to handle the additional loads.

Flexing aside, if everything secured to a cored structure was done with the fasteners going into epoxied plugs instead of in direct contact with the core the way it should be done, you'd never have to worry about the core getting wet with a failed seal but we all know for time and expense reasons, this practice is rarely followed.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I had a similar issue with my 10 meter express 15 years or so ago.

two issues were found:

1) two of the four support brackets had cracked welds. this transferred part of the getting on and off the swim platform stress - (imagine it now as a lever)

2) the wooden support brackets inside the transom were in bad shape, and IMHO somewhat smaller than they should be.

had the support brackets welded, replaced the wood backing plates with (as I recall) a two layer sandwich of heavy starboard, larger than the original wooden backing plates.

PROBLEM SOLVED !

It is important to keep something in mind as we deal with these boats.

THEY WERE NEVER ENGINEERED, BUILT OR DESIGNED TO HAVE A USEFUL LIFE OF 30-45 YEARS.

Some of the issues we are dealing with are a result of this fact of life.

That said, there are many other brands whose 35 year old vessels have for the most part, gone on to the boneyard.
RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

I believe 1o meter's were had no coring in the hulls. on the other hand 11 meter and up they had coring in those hulls
WillieTrojan (Owned F32, Willpower in Kinsale, Va)
Spanish Fort, Al

Looking for 33 International
low944

Post by low944 »

Thanks everyone. I will look into putting larger backing plates in. Maybe trex pieces?
1982 Trojan International 10 Meter Express