1974 F30 express need winterizing info

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

don

1974 F30 express need winterizing info

Post by don »

I am winterizing for the first time and do not have the owner's manual for this boat. Does anyone know the tranny fluid capacity for the Model 71 Velvet Drive and the engine oil capacity for the Chrysler LM318? Any other tips on winterizing or availability of manual would be much appreciated. Thanks. Don
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

The Chrysler 318 Manual states 6 quarts at a 7 degree installation angle. This is what I use in my single screw, '75 F26 when I change the oil & filter.

Velvet drive installation & service manuals and an older version of the Chysler LM318 manual are available in pdf format at the following url. Trans Lubrication requirements are on p. 21 of the service manual.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/reference/#Engine

The data is a little misleading. It states the fluid capacity of the transmission is 1.8 quarts level or 1.3 quarts at a "15"incline" I'm not sure if that is meant to be 15 degrees. At any rate the fluid capacities are for the transmission only and don't include the oil required to fill the cooler and hoses. I run about 2.5 to 3 quarts in my set up, but yours will depend on the length of the hoses and the size of the cooler. I upgraded my oil cooler to 12" long from the original 6" unit. At any rate the trans temp is very sensitive to the fluid level and it will run hot without enough oil.

Good Luck!
Chuck
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI
don

Post by don »

thanks chucka that`s exactly the information we were looking for. That`s a great website to be aware of.