Phasor Generator - No response

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

tcollins2
2024 Forum Support
2024 Forum Support

Phasor Generator - No response

Post by tcollins2 »

I have a Phasor 3 cylinder diesel generator powered by a Kubota engine. Phasor model K3-7.0KW. My rear bilge pump failed last weekend. When the previous owner repowered he installed this diesel generator. I had it running last week on my trip when I left the slip. On my way home after lots of rain, my rear bilge pump failed. Only found out when the high water alarm started my horn beeping. It was sloshing around in the stern and actually filled the plastic battery box for the generator battery. When I got back home I got all the water out and the generator would not do anything when I hit the start button, no reaction at all. Nothing. I thought the battery was a goner so I bought a new one. Still nothing. I think some water got around the unit but not high enough to saturate anything. The unit sits higher than the high water alarm float switch. Tonight I tried looking for fuses I found a 40-amp fuse near the starter motor and that was fine. Does anyone know if there is a reset button on these somewhere? Neither the remote start from the electric panel or the start button on the unit itself have any reaction when pressed. I don't have a user manual from when I bought the boat and the guy at Phasor has not returned my calls. Anyone have an idea on what to do next? I can't find anything online. Kubota said I need to contact Phasor.
1990 Trojan 12M International Express Detroit Diesels 6-71T's, 425HP
Big D
Ultimate User

Re: Phasor Generator - No response

Post by Big D »

If you can't find a reset, start with the simple stuff like listening if the starter solenoid is clicking when you try to start the unit. If it doesn't click, put a meter on it to see if you're getting 12 volts when you activate the start button. If you have 12 volts there, it's a solenoid or starter failure. If not, you need to start tracing back. If there is a plug in the harness leading to the remote start panel, make sure the contacts are clean and tight. Also make sure the battery cables on the unit itself are tight and clean. A schematic would help here. There might be a start relay, and it may have failed. On some units, a failed start switch at the unit or the remote will prevent either one from starting the genny.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

this, and other similar stories I have heard is the EXACT REASON I have fitted my vessel with two additional high volume emergency bilge pumps, both totally independent of the factory electrical system and both running off the generator battery.

The switches are mounted higher tan the factory switches.

One in the engine room and one in the lowest bilge compartment when the boat is at rest in the water.

The 3 factory bilge pumps have been upgraded over the years to 1500 GPH models.

The engines are also fitted with crash pumps.

Who was it that said I was anal............ ?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I looked on boat diesel and could not find any Phasor diagrams . Check and see if your get 12 volts to the starter . Are the glow plugs working ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
tcollins2
2024 Forum Support
2024 Forum Support

Post by tcollins2 »

Problem solved. There is a bundle of 8 or so connections inside the original harness wrapped in bulk under a large heat shrink. My assumption is that the remote start bundle to the galley is an add on option. So to add it you must splice in the new harness which comes with large deutsch connector to the existing harness. These connections simply used crimps with two wires in one end and one wire in the other to make up the splice. I had 12.4 volts at the starter stud and only 0.5v at the main power switch. This splice/crimp had gone bad. Maybe it was just a pure coincidence that this happened at the same time as the bilge failed. This bundle is near the top of the generator sound shield so there is no chance that water could have gotten in there. Up and running again. Yay! There is only one fuse on the unit an automotive 40 amp by the starter motor in a black case, no reset button, not other fuses were found.
1990 Trojan 12M International Express Detroit Diesels 6-71T's, 425HP