F32 cutless bearings

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bssmnbll

F32 cutless bearings

Post by bssmnbll »

I had my 76 trojan pulled for routine bottom paint this month, and found my cutless bearing rubbers on the way out of the brass.
Does anyone know the measurement of these bearings?? And has anyone had any experience with the Strut-Pro tool for pulling said bearing??
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: F32 cutless bearings

Post by captainmaniac »

Can't answer about pulling the bearing (I 'have a guy' who I get to do that kind of stuff), but the parts he has used on my '79 F32 are Johnson Cutless Bearing from Duramax Marine, BIRD 1.25 (shaft) x 1.75 (outer diam) x 5 (length)

http://www.duramaxmarine.com/pdf/CutlessBearingMS.pdf
bssmnbll

Post by bssmnbll »

Thanks for the quick reply. That confirms my very ruff measurement made on parts with years of use, and with the shafts in place. Now to get some first hand experience with this "super tool" said to be able to remove the bearing with the shaft in place, thus saving tonnes of labor hrs.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

'My guy' pulls the prop and strut, and takes it back to his shop to press. Each time he has done a bearing for me there was other stuff he was doing too, so can't tell you what the actual labour hours were for the bearing.
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

I just did one on a 30 ft Penn Yan, looks the same just a little smaller, even though the Penn Yan has more HP, a little thought, couple sockets, hammers and screw drivers and its wasnt that bad to change with the strut and shaft in place, did my old Silverton too, strut in place but pulled the shaft, not hard to do at all.
bssmnbll

Post by bssmnbll »

Fellows, if you have access to a Strut-Pro tool, and need to do cutless bearings or shaft removal, this tool makes life good and takes a load off the wallet. For what the repair yards get to do the job,it is a good purchase, and with a hand from my younger son, makes a two hour job out of the cutless bearing replacement and one shaft removal. Highly recommend it.