F-32 Vapor Lock Fix

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

oil&water
Moderate User

F-32 Vapor Lock Fix

Post by oil&water »

I was called out to a buddy's F-32 Convertible to diagnose an engine dying out. He has twin Chrysler 360's that have around 1,600 hours each. His starboard engine has usually been his good engine. Not so much the last few trips. It died out on himthe last couple of times he took the boat out.

I spent some time looking over things and was satisfied to go take a ride after getting the engines started and what appeared to be running right. He brought the boat up to planning speed and realized it wasn't going to happen due to the shag carpet growing on his bottom. So we cruised for a short while, a very short while, at 2,450 RPM's before the starboard engine died. Sounded like fuel starvation. Got it fired back up after a few minutes only to have it die again. Same issue the next ten to fifteen times. He finally got it started back and we returned cautiously to the dock.

I check all the common things, power, fuel, electric fuel pump feeding, spark, etc. All looked good. After about 30 minutes the engine fired right back up. It ran absolutely terrific. Much better than it has so far this season. Hmmm, must have been something in the carb or fuel filter. So we took her out again. Same process a before. Brought the throttle up and things were looking positive. Still have th shag carpet issue, but running none the same. Then die down and dead again. WTH? Back to the investigation process again. Checked out the fuel situation observing the carburetor throat for fuel. Interesting. Manual activation of the throttle lever generates some fuel with lots of steam. Hmm, getting somewhere. I start looking around and notice the fuel line is laying against the starboard exhaust manifold water line in one place. Interesting as this line has been here for two summers. Very interesting. My buddy mentions the engines are running a touch hotter this year. Hmmm, what if I move the fuel line? Back on goes the flame arrestor. The engine cools a touch and I move the line with my hand. The engine is started back up and off we go again. Twenty minutes later and still running strong. A little duct tape to temporary hold back the line and two hours later of pleasurable cruising at hull speed and we are back at the dock. Tomorrow I will relocate the line a more permanently for him.

I like a night were it all just works out.

Currently Trojan-less :?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: F-32 Vapor Lock Fix

Post by prowlersfish »

The red hose is a fuel line ? Looks like the electric fuel pump install needs a rework .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

prowlersfish wrote:The red hose is a fuel line ? Looks like the electric fuel pump install needs a rework .
The really bad part is he paid a marine mechanic decent money to get the two pumps installed, along with new fuel filters, and lines.

I have found that there is a high number of independent marine mechanics that just don't care about making their installs compliant with current regs and suggested practices. His mechanic came highly recommended and does several boats at that marina. I would never let him onboard mine after watching his work on this boat.
Currently Trojan-less :?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Highly recommended Means I know a guy that works cheap sometimes :shock:
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D