Trailering a Trojan? No bow eye!?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

AlphaJustin

Trailering a Trojan? No bow eye!?

Post by AlphaJustin »

My boat doesn't have a bow eye, doesnt appear to have ever had one either no repairs no evidence of anything. I need to move it. I have a trailer that it will fit on size wise for my 26 foot Larson but that doesn't help me tow it safely without the main attachment spot. Is this just my boat or are they all that way and what do you guys do? Anyone have pictures of theirs secured on the trailer? Thanks
1972 Trojan F-25 with no TRJ number and a 4 barrel
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Re: Trailering a Trojan? No bow eye!?

Post by zedtwentyate »

My old F-27 did not have an eye either. It would have been nice if it did. You could always add one.
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

When transporting larger vessels with no bow eyes, haulers always use straps secured to the deck cleats. Tie two sets to each bow cleat; one going forward to prevent backward movement, and one back to prevent forward movement. One at each stern cleat, and if you have cleats mid ship, use them too. This setup will prevent fore, aft, sideways, and vertical movement.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Big D wrote:When transporting larger vessels with no bow eyes, haulers always use straps secured to the deck cleats. Tie two sets to each bow cleat; one going forward to prevent backward movement, and one back to prevent forward movement. One at each stern cleat, and if you have cleats mid ship, use them too. This setup will prevent fore, aft, sideways, and vertical movement.
+1 on what Big D said. My F26 has a bow eye. It looks original but maybe it was added by a previous owner.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

X 2 on what Big D said . You did not say what model Trojan you have , but assuming it maybe a inboard . If it is will you be able to clear the shaft on your trailer ? You can install a bow eye but its more then just drilling a hole or two , major reinforcement is needed . If it fits ok on the trailer Just strap it down as Big D said and your good
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
AlphaJustin

Post by AlphaJustin »

Awesome that's what I was hoping but I just wanted to make sure thank you Big D and everyone for agreeing it doesn't have to go far but I do want it to make the trip. It is inboard and the trailers rear beam is in almost 2 feet from the side rail end.
AlphaJustin

Post by AlphaJustin »

Just a follow up I completed the trip I strapped it to the trailer as mentioned but I also ran 2x 30 foot tow straps all the way around the boat at just above the water line to tie it to the trailer winch post and add an extra layer. 306 miles at about 55 miles per hour with no issues and no real concern.
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Glad you trip was safe and uneventful. I'm sure the first big bump probably rattled you just a hair.
Currently Trojan-less :?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Good deal
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D