Digital Dash and automation on Trojan F36 tri-fly

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

baggins

Digital Dash and automation on Trojan F36 tri-fly

Post by baggins »

Hi Guys,

I don't have a lot to post at the moment but as requested i will keep this up to date as things progress:

Summery of project:
I wanted a way to digitize and build a digital GUI to both the engines and other important areas of the boat and display the information to a modern display that didnt costs 1000's of dollars per display. I wanted to to this using standard hardware for monitoring, tablets for display (for instance I use 18" samsung tablets for the main helm (300$ referbs) on the fly bridge and 8" for the lower helm). I wanted to monitor far more than standard engine (ECU like) metrics, for instance water temp at at least 4 points on each of the manifolds, water detection at higher levels than the bilge pumps should be able to deal with and even gas sensors (as in concentration of ppm in the air) eventually.

A note to everyone I do also sell these solutions pre-installed (software) and configured if your interested (I do this for all kinds of automation projects, home, solar, etc.) let me know if your interested, however I hope these instructions are clear enough and if you want to give it a go from a DIY perspective and in the spirit of opensource and open idea sharing I hope together it will become greater than I could accomplish alone.

Please don't worry if there are periods of no updates, I have a wife that would rather we use the boat than rebuild it.... Go figure.

I'm an infrastructure architect by trade so if the jargon is not clear please ask.

The goals:
1. Produce a digital version of the existing gauges for both engines that can be viewed via any web browser on any device
a. Include tach, gas, voltage, oil pressure, temp and elapsed running time gauges for both engines
b. Produce near real time (real time is a very tall order) but i hope to get with in at least 1-2 seconds refresh
c. THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO REPLACE the Actual GAUGES (I will not be using NEMA/can bus for messages) so this solution should NOT be used for any instrumentation that life or death decisions are based on....
d. Produce both point in time and historical data
e. Base the solution on commodity cheap hardware (i.e. raspberry PI's, cheap sensors and wireless networks)
f. Focus the GUI/display interface for android tablets (although this should work on apple devices as well as laptops)
g. Use RS11 Analog to Digital converters (these do produce NEMA2000 messages) so you could output their messages to standard chart plotter etc. but that is outside the scope of this project.
2. Monitor at least 4 locations on each manifold for water temp (i may be a little obsessed with over heating, but its mostly do to psychological scaring..... been there done that)
3. Monitor water level or water presence in areas or levels out side of norm
4. Use IOT and standard messaging (MQTT, Email) to provide alerts (if internet is present) to remote accounts for notifications when not on the boat.
5. Retain/maintain full functionality of all original gauges and mission critical components, there's a reason NEMA and can bus exist and are expensive this solution is more about cool factor, usefulness and doing stuff that gauges alone cant offer.

Let me know if you have any questions.
baggins

Re: Digital Dash and automation on Trojan F36 tri-fly

Post by baggins »

I have wired up a single NoLand RS11 for testing (I will send some pics tomorrow). I installed the RS11 under the fly bridge helm (this may not be its final resting place as i do see advantages to having one in each engine compartment).
baggins

Post by baggins »

The RS11 for now i connected via USB to my laptop I am using both windows and linux. Windows has the better gui for testing as there is a config app but i have tested and do get readings on linux as well. Because my plan is to have the RS11's connected via usb to raspberry pi's and then move everything via MQTT to a DB (also located on a Raspberry pi) and then present everything via a web interface via the tablets on the boat the entire solution will be linux based.

I will include build scripts for linux but you will need some basic knowledge to pull this off.

Currently under linux i tested a single reading from the RS11 to the tablet and everything worked as expected. On my windows laptop i was able to read from all 6 gauges but the dash boarding tool was not very pretty and calibration is required. We will be able to do much better using linux and our web gui as the project unfolds.
Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Post by Bob Giaier »

I've always dreamed of doing what you are scheming. I don't think I have the computer skills to do it , but I will be reading all you have to post on this. Don't stop
Liberdade

Post by Liberdade »

I am also very interested in this project, though I was planning to purchase the RS11 to output NEMA 2000 gauge data to my existing Lowrance display for direct data overlay onto the chart. I currently just have real time fuel data (gph for each engine and mpg), but it is certainly addicting!

My question is: when you connected the RS11 to your laptop via usb, did that appear to give good "real time" data, even though it wasn't pretty? You said it will require calibration, but do you get the idea that it will be consistent and accurate once calibrated?

Secondly, are you going to simply calibrate to the existing gauge readings, or do you plan to use other instruments like a non-contact RPM meter, infrared temp sensor, etc.?

Great project!
1987 Trojan 11 Meter Express
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Thanks for posting!

I just ordered a RS11 to interface with the NMEA 2000 bus on our boat. I thought about designing my own, but after looking at what NoLand is offering, decided I could better spend the time on other boat tasks. I will post some more info on my owner's thread when I get it installed in a few weeks.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

I too am interested in your project. I put an RS11 in our 73 F36 when I owned her and two Lowarance 520c chartplotters on the flybridge console to get a set of guages with alarms in front of my view vs off to the right hand side where all the mechanical guages were. I monitored voltage, oil pressure, tach, water temp from tapping into the screw terminal blocks of the wiring harness and added Lowarnce fuel flow gauges. I loved the setup, it worked well for me for several years (and is still working for the new owner.

I got interested in Raspberry Pi single board computers and started working a project similar to yours I called "FirstMate", but initially as a way to control the AC system remotely. That project was successful, but I ended up putting in a new AC system and didn't have time to reverse engineer the new controls.

On the Carver I bought this spring, I wanted to expand the NEMA-2000 network to add EGT temps, boost, and a few more temp sensors but I ran out of time. I was having trouble getting enough speed to keep up with the NEMA network form the Raspberry. Then I discovered some pre-built boards to do the conversion and ran out of time prior to my maiden voyage. I ended up putting in a display with alarms and temp and pressure transducers from Maretron.

I'll be following your progress, I want to get back to controller AC and adding additional sensors to the diesels, and other systems on board. I'm sure I'll learn plenty form your experiences.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

FirstMate sounds interesting - maybe you should make a thread on that!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
baggins

Post by baggins »

Hi Guys,

Just heading to the boat to install the system. Attached is the Dash on my PC. I will send more info once i get it installed on the boat latter today. Ive made lots of progress of the boat and will update the thread with the build process once this part is running.
Attachments
1080p dash all temps real data, test data for RS11
1080p dash all temps real data, test data for RS11
healthyvessel-f36.png (229.91 KiB) Viewed 12144 times
baggins

Post by baggins »

Attached is the overall architecture.

Completed items are in Green.
Attachments
completed items in green
completed items in green
healthyVessel-mm-overview-arch.png (76.04 KiB) Viewed 12139 times
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

I noticed your showing cameras in structure and a connection to public wifi. Are you planning on viewing these while away from the boat. I was using ip cameras till my marina went to a public wifi system and have found no open ports for incoming connection as would be the norm on that wifi. So I was curious if using a raspberry or a work around you knew you might share. Even without that I am very interested in your work here as I have some sensors etc on my lowrance hds nmea2000 network but would love to see this work. please keep us in the loop
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
enriquegh1

Post by enriquegh1 »

What do you think about these Chetco SeaSmart ? Thinking about it for my F32 Perkins diesels.
http://www.digitalmarinegauges.com/prod ... -unit.html
baggins

Post by baggins »

Hi G36,

I use VPN and SMTP to get around the public/fire-walling that is usually present. In this particular marina I installed the internet installation and support the network so I have access to the firewalls but I still chose to implement my own vpn directly from the PI's and not make any changes on the firewalls.

The setup I find most useful is a raspberry pi, motion and motioneye packages and openvpn from the pi to servers I have in my data-center. You could of course use one of many public services that offer VPN termination, FTP or SFTP.

I set up the motion eye to send two images via email for every motion detection at low res. this allows me to quickly deal with false positives. I setup motion eye to dump the video of the motion to an sftp server with the instruction to delete after 30days. All of this can be done via motioneyes web interface.

The main camera is now installed as of yesterday on the fly bridge and everything is working. This perticular PI also runs the monitoring database, WIFI client and AP for the boat and the dashboard GUI's. The additional cameras for the bow and stern will come later, they are not for security and more for visibility I use the boat a lot with only me and my wife and its helpful when docking/locking to tying of to mooring buoys.

I will be posting the build processes for each individual piece hoping some one with out linux experience can build the units. I am also very happy to help if you have any more questions.
baggins

Post by baggins »

Hi G36, one other thing (its an idea i just had while re-reading your question to make sure i got everything).

Im not sure what your expertise is but you could give it a try.

Set up a PI'3 and install hostapd and openvpn (get hostapd working first), this will allow you to provide a wireless network to your existing ip cameras and also connect to the public internet. Hostapd essentially becomes the router for your boat between the local private network provided by your PI on the boat and the public internet.

Then configure OpenVPN to connect from your PI to a VPN service on the internet (there are many providers). You can then gain access to your boat network remotely to use the cameras etc. This would also provide a local network on your boat when not in the marina for video music and other monitoring etc. You can also configure hostapd to connect to your cell for data when not near public wifi if you wish.

The build for the basestation that I will post does all this and more so you can use that build process when I post it. I hope to get more posted on the project soon. Our neighbor passed away 3 weeks ago so we are helping his widow (and a good friend) a lot, I'm essentially running both farms and a full time job and a wife of my own..... :)
baggins

Post by baggins »

Liberdade wrote:I am also very interested in this project, though I was planning to purchase the RS11 to output NEMA 2000 gauge data to my existing Lowrance display for direct data overlay onto the chart. I currently just have real time fuel data (gph for each engine and mpg), but it is certainly addicting!

My question is: when you connected the RS11 to your laptop via usb, did that appear to give good "real time" data, even though it wasn't pretty? You said it will require calibration, but do you get the idea that it will be consistent and accurate once calibrated?

Secondly, are you going to simply calibrate to the existing gauge readings, or do you plan to use other instruments like a non-contact RPM meter, infrared temp sensor, etc.?

Great project!
Hi,

The RS11 does output to Nema although i didn't have a network i may build a small one just so i can compare results after going through the PI. I would output to my Garmin 7607.

The data coming out of the usb does seem like good data although i have not set up that part completely I just wanted to see if I got data. I will get to it later in the week and let you know once i have a good look.

For the calibration where needed, for now i will likely calibrate with existing gauges as i don't have the gear or experience to go further. The owner of the marina is very interested in the project and this week will see the dashboard for the first time so I'm hoping I might through a mechanic my way so as a second pass I can check the calibration and go off actual engine feed back.