Dripless Shaft Seal?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

JKJ

Dripless Shaft Seal?

Post by JKJ »

I noticed that my bilge pump kept cycling on and off, so I tracked down the source. It appears that the starboard shaft seal is leaking. How is this replaced and how do I figure out what replacement bellows I need. Does the boat have to be pulled to replace? Feeling very nauseous all of a sudden...
seal med.jpg
seal med.jpg (39.05 KiB) Viewed 4400 times
seal med.jpg
seal med.jpg (39.05 KiB) Viewed 4400 times
Attachments
seal1 med.jpg
seal1 med.jpg (44.84 KiB) Viewed 4400 times
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Dripless Shaft Seal?

Post by captainmaniac »

I have repacked regular stuffing boxes in the water, but I think with a dripless you have to come out to replace parts as they are all attached to or around the shaft. I am curious - what's the zip tie there for?
JKJ

Post by JKJ »

I have no idea, my thoughts exactly. There is not just a lot of room to work or even look. I had to stick my phone down there and take a bunch of pictures to even see what was down there.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

my v drives have dripless shaft seals and no leaky, they work fine. I had them installed when I repowered due to the difficulty getting to them in the V configuration. I used PYI PSS dripless seals. Just google dripless seals and you will see pictures of many types.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
JKJ

Post by JKJ »

Thanks Larry, I have looked and can't seem to pick the exact one, there is no telling how old these are. Thanks for the comment, I was hoping with as many lookers there would have been more comments...
JKJ

Post by JKJ »

I finally figured out that it is a Duramax seal. they have a replacement bellows and seal kit. I will let you know how it turns out.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Good Luck, on we first re-packed them as they were regular stuffing box. Did it in the water after calculating water inflow. was nothing that bilge pump could not handle. Shaft is 1 inch and stuffing box is 1 1/8 so sixteenth of inch around shaft, actually believe we could run it without packing as it is only about 1.5 foot below surface, ergo no pressure. In any case when re-engine put dripless shaft seals in. :D
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink