What have I gotten myself into ....

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Bryan

What have I gotten myself into ....

Post by Bryan »

Hey all

id like to start of by saying I'm a first time boat owner and my knowledge is limited in boating. with that being said I live close enough to water that a boat purchase seems like a logical move. In my searching for boats I stumbled across a 1987 trojan 36 tri cabin and my wife fell in love and had to have it. fast forward two weeks and I'm still lost on a few things.
First it's in water at a marina now is there a water hookup on my model boat or do I just run off the water tank.
Second how can I tell how full my gray water tank is, is there a meter somewhere.

I'll start there and there will be plenty more questions to follow any help is greatly appreciated.
BobCT
Active User

Re: What have I gotten myself into ....

Post by BobCT »

Well, it's easy to get overwhelmed. Resign yourself to the fact that the first season will be miserable until you get through the initial learning curve. Once you get a full season under your belt which includes winterizing and a launch, you'll be fine.

For now, take it one system at a time. On the water, there should be a hookup for a direct hose connection you and then the sytem operates just like you are at home. You will need to disable your pump though by shutting off the breaker. Or, you can simply keep refilling the tank when needed which is what I do.

Do you mean "gray water"? Most older boats do not have a gray water tank, that is the discharge from sinks and showers. That normally flows overboard. If you are referring to the "black water"' (holding tank for the toilets) then yes, there should be an level indicator light. If you don't have one and have access to the side of the tank, a stick on version can be added. See most post from a couple of days ago and what I added to my fresh water tank. The same one can be used on a holding tank.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

A suggestion may be to let us know what area of the world you are located, doesn't have to be exact, for example Texas Gulf Coast. There may very well be one of us close by to meet you at the boat and go over the ins and outs.

Also, if your boat does not have the owner's manual, call Bob at Beacon Marine to order one for your hull. Best money you can spend as a new boater.
Currently Trojan-less :?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Hey thanks for the input guys. Yeah I ment the sewage tank or black water tank . I'm heading down to the boat later on today to check it out and find a gauge. Right now the biar is on the bohemia river in the upper chesapeke in md .
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

My 84 mid-cabin has water hook up on top of transom as well as water fill and careful gas fill. I replaced the Blackwater tank as old one was not serviceable to me, I replumbed all lines using hard PVC as it holds odors better. rebuilt both macerator pumps and now all is okay. Blackwater tank has no gauge and opted to not use one as my marina will pump empty for $10 and it now holds 40 gallons and each head holds 9 gallons.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Welcome Brian. 1985 tricab ex sasafrass river, now in middle river.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!