Helm control replacemens

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

IRBMan35

Helm control replacemens

Post by IRBMan35 »

Hey again everyone!

I need to replace the original throttle/transmission controls on my 73 F32. The cast body of the mechanism is cracked on two of them. Not sure if everyone's is the same, but I have 4 single action levers: port transmission, port/stbd throttles (tandem control), and stbd transmission.

I'm planning to keep the same configuration. However, I'm finding a wider variety of dual action controls (throttle/transmission combined) for nearly the same price as the single action ones. If I just connect my control cables to dual action controls in the same configuration as the current single action ones, is that going to work? I'm not talking about converting anything, just substituting control types.

Thanks!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Helm control replacemens

Post by prowlersfish »

Do you have upper and lower stations ? Are you talking about the controls that 1 lever controls both engine and trans ? If you do I don't believe you can use them on dual stations. Single station no problem .

If your talking about 2 dual lever controls (one engine one trans ) no problem or you can put both trans on one control and both engines on the other control '
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Re: Helm control replacemens

Post by Big D »

Agreed Paul, dual controls aren't meant for dual station as you have to disengage the shift mechanism at the control if you just want to rev up in neutral.

If I understand you correctly, you have a single shift lever on port side of helm, a dual throttle in the middle, and a single shift on starboard side. Replacement is totally doable. before you buy the controls, find out the type of cable you have to sure the controls are compatible or you'll have to buy new cables as well or different ends/adapters.

Personally, I prefer the shifters separate from the throttles. When you install, read the instructions, there should be a section that tells you to eliminate the neutral detent in the shifters at one of the stations. Both station detents should not be active. I believe you disengage the lower station detents but would have to confirm.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year