10 meter fuel tank access ?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

trojanrob

10 meter fuel tank access ?

Post by trojanrob »

Hello fellow Trojan owners!
I just bought an 87 10 meter with a pair of 454s. Its a very nice vessel overall but has seen very little maintenance this season. I sea trialed her yesterday and was having classic fuel starvation problems. Fuel bowls were clean, no water with fresh fuel filters installed. She ran great at hull speed but could not jump up on plane without stalling. I highly suspect the anti-siphon valves are plugged or and that will be my first check when I get the boat shipped to home later this week. I had a limited time at the boat to go over it but I am confident that she just needs a thorough systems check and repair. It had a recent survey that was very complimentary that was performed by a notoriously thorough surveyor. The owner is not well and the boat has sat it the water unused this season.
I would like to know how access the fuel tanks better than trying to climb down in the engine room through the center hatch. I did find some portholes to access the fuel tank sending gauges but did not notice if there were hatches back there or additional portholes for the fuel pickup lines/anti siphon valves. I have a knuckleboom crane so I can lift the entire rear cockpit floor out, if it is designed to do so, however I can not find this info on here, so far.
Also, where do they normally mount the AC compressor and water pump? I didnt see it down there from the center hatch pov. The generator runs and the AC breaker turns on the blower in the v-birth but that was as far as I got. Im sure I will find all this stuff out when the boat arrives here (Kingston Ont.) but I am curious about engine access while I wait for her to arrive!
Attachments
cockpit trojan.JPG
cockpit trojan.JPG (21.25 KiB) Viewed 4797 times
port trojan.JPG
port trojan.JPG (46.66 KiB) Viewed 4797 times
helm 2 trojan.JPG
helm 2 trojan.JPG (27.07 KiB) Viewed 4797 times
BobCT
Active User

Re: 10 meter fuel tank access ?

Post by BobCT »

Rob,

Looks like you have a 10m "Mid Cabin" from your pics. That is what I have and the layout is completely different than the similar looking Express model of the same size.

For the tank access, specifically the anti-siphon valves, you need to remove the outer engine hatches. Move the corner bench I see in your pic and (wetbar, add'l bench) on the port side. The anti-siphon valves are right where the fuel lines connect to the tank. You have to sort of lay across the engine to remove it but an easy job and great place to start and work your way back towards the engine for the issue you describe. This was exactly my issue when I first purchased my boat.

The AC pump and seacock are in the mid cabin berth on the port side, in front of the three locker doors (lift up the cushion and base).

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
trojanrob

Post by trojanrob »

Thanks Bob,
Appreciate it !
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Nice looking 87 year boat. PO must have taken well care of her when able.
1988 Trojan 11 Meter Express

My wife made me do it... Really.....
trojanrob

Post by trojanrob »

Indeed. He had the cockpit and cabin redone by a well respected upholstery shop in his area and it shows. The engines both started instantly from cold, as did the generator. No evidence of leaks and the bilge is clean. No vibrations or strange noises coming from the transmissions and smooth shifting and steering. Only issues I found upon a very limited inspection and sea trial was the high power setting fuel starvation and ac not blowing cold. I dont think the owner was even aware of the fuel issue since he told me he hadn't tried to plane the boat for several years before I took it out. The survey stated the boat was in above average condition and had no issues whatsoever at the time of survey (2015). Minimal use since then.
The boat was a last minute switch for me from a nice Tri-Cabin when the owner of the 10 meter asked for offers and I sent him one (as much as I could afford), and he accepted. Anyway, she is a very nice boat and a grand step up from the Doral Prestancia 30 we sold last year.
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

trojanrob wrote:Indeed. He had the cockpit and cabin redone by a well respected upholstery shop in his area and it shows. The engines both started instantly from cold, as did the generator. No evidence of leaks and the bilge is clean. No vibrations or strange noises coming from the transmissions and smooth shifting and steering. Only issues I found upon a very limited inspection and sea trial was the high power setting fuel starvation and ac not blowing cold. I dont think the owner was even aware of the fuel issue since he told me he hadn't tried to plane the boat for several years before I took it out. The survey stated the boat was in above average condition and had no issues whatsoever at the time of survey (2015). Minimal use since then.
The boat was a last minute switch for me from a nice Tri-Cabin when the owner of the 10 meter asked for offers and I sent him one (as much as I could afford), and he accepted. Anyway, she is a very nice boat and a grand step up from the Doral Prestancia 30 we sold last year.

From what I see, she looks like a nice vessel! We have friends with a Prestancia 30 and I'm certain you will enjoy the beamy 10 meter compared to the Doral. BobCT knows his mid-cabins! Those outer engine hatches provide great access. The biggest pain is getting the wet bar out of the way (if you have one). If you reach in the storage compartment of the seat and under the wetbar, there should be some bolts that you can unscrew in order to move them.

While you are inspecting the fuel system, look at the main fuel filters which should be mounted on the rear of the engines if they are factory. You can also check the in-line carb filter. I had some "gunk" in one of my anti siphon valves that managed to sneak through my fuel filter and clog up quadrajet carb filters as well.

We will need more pics of her! Post them up when you get the vessel home!
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
trojanrob

Post by trojanrob »

Thanks for the tips and kind words folks.
These boats are impressive. We used to have an Italian built ProfilMarine Cherokee 50 and this Trojan exhibits all the same qualities of her European cousins. My first impression was she is just as roomy as our 50 with 15 feet lopped off the stern lol. She is only 1 foot narrower! The designer obviously studied the Mediterranean boats of that era. It is so nice to walk out on the bow and not feel as if you have "an extra spring in your step" :D I tried to post a few photos from our sea trial on the Detroit River but even after resizing to 650kb I got a message saying they were too big? Any help would be appreciated there.
I am going to re rig my fuel polishing system to try and clean the tanks after I clean the lines/filters/AS valves. I had it set up for my Cherokee which was a diesel. Has anyone tried this with gas? The tanks are about 3/4 full right now and I do not wish to waste it if possible. Any suggestions on what filter/separators to use? My polisher has a basic Goldenrod pre filter clear plastic housing with a 17micron cartridge inside. The second filter inline was a 2 micron steel screw on Racor designed for diesel fuel. I was thinking of just using a Mercruiser screw on filter here but perhaps someone here has already had experience polishing gasoline from the bottom of their tank? Suggestions?
My other question is how would I configure my browser to view the photos of the 10meter diesel repower completed by a user on this site? I forget his name atm but it sounds like the results were fantastic ! Thanks,
Rob.