Lunaire AC Recharge

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Jimmy
Sporadic User

Lunaire AC Recharge

Post by Jimmy »

Has anyone re-charged their Lunaire AC unit? Ours still works, but the cold seems to not be as cold as it should. I have not done a temp in/ temp out test, but used my highly calibrated measuring devise, (Wife, and she says not cold enough). It is a 88 11 meter and only a single unit. After nearly 30 years, Im guessing it needs a boost. Can I use automotive R134a ? And is there an adaptor made to go from automotive to this unit (fill cap looks like a large air valve for a tire)?

Or?
1988 Trojan 11 Meter Express

My wife made me do it... Really.....
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Re: Lunaire AC Recharge

Post by Stripermann2 »

You cannot use automotive refrigerant in this system. Yours uses R22, which today, is extremely expensive.
There will be a low side and high side port on the compressor. Unless you're familiar with properly checking and charging an AC system, see if you can find someone who's in the business to check and adjust for you.

Good luck.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Thats what I wondered. Thanks for the info.

Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Before you the tap into the system, you should ensure it's not something else like restricted raw water flow due to a full strainer or fouled intake, decreased water volume due to same or a failing pump, or a dirty evaporator that needs to be cleaned. You should also flush the condenser (raw water side) with a chemical product in case it's fouled. All these will cause the same symptom.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

I did verify water flow. That was the first thing I checked, I also did an un-scientific hand test of the compressor, condenser and coils. Seems plenty of water flow as the coils were cool to the touch. And, plenty of water shooting out the port. Again, not complaining as it is nearly 30 years old and still does work. Just takes a bit longer to cool the cabin. If the first mate is too hot, I suggest shedding some clothing.... maybe this is a good thing? :D

Lance F28

Post by Lance F28 »

As Big D suggested take a look at the coils of your evaporator, after 30 years they collect a lot of dust. You can buy coil cleaner that you spray on and the condensation will wash it off, or you can hose it off if you have good access to it without water being a problem.

Also, take the squirrel cage out of the blower and soak it in some cleaner then take a brush and clean all the build up out of the fins. You will be surprised how much additional air flow and cooling you get by doing that.
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Good thought on the fins, they look fairly clean (Michigan boat) so air does not run a whole lot. Ill give them a once over.