Water pressure

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Julian H

Water pressure

Post by Julian H »

I have just bought an F-26 Express and am very happy with it.
My only issue is the water pressure on the faucets. Even with the water tank pressurized the water comes out like an incontinent old man taking a pee. Is this usual, am I operating it correctly, are there any improvements I can make?
Appreciate any input from fellow Trojan owners.
AlphaJustin

Re: Water pressure

Post by AlphaJustin »

Mine need to be pumped at the faucet so I would be happy to have an incontinent man flow hahaha sorry I'm of no help though just wanted you to know there is a silver lining to your issue.
1972 Trojan F-25 with no TRJ number and a 4 barrel
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

What does "water tank pressurized mean"? Dock water or pump pressure from the boats pump? Is it bad either way? Have you checked the faucets if they have a screen that will screw off like at home? May have debris trapped there. The water at the dock may be weak or your pressure reducer at the incoming shore connection to the boat may be clogged or faulty. Boat pump could be bad if only low pressure then. Just a few thoughts.
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
Julian H

Post by Julian H »

Thanks for the input.
I am referring to the onboard tank. There is a pull switch next to the head for pressurizing the tank, which I pulled out.
The flowing of water is akin to a cat coughing up a furball rather than a smooth flow. I put about 30 gallons in the tank so there is no lack there. I am curious as to what other folks experiences are.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Don't know about pressuring the tank could be done but in my limited experience with 28s and a 36 the pressure comes from a demand pump that pumps up pressure and and shuts off. When you turn on water the pump senses lower pressure and begins to pump. I replaced my faucets/shower etc and helped a lot assuming you have a good pump. They are rebuild able and quite simple.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

My water pump is under the V berth on the starboard side. Make sure it is working and that there are no leaks. When you turn the water pump on do you hear the pump continually running? It should run for a few seconds and then shut off with all of the faucets closed. When you turn a faucet on it should start running again.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

If you get good flow from the dock water then low flow with the pump then the problem will be with your pump and not the water lines or faucets . Have you tried hooking to dock water? If low both ways check what i posted earlier . You should also locate your 12v water pump and see if it doesnt have a inlet or outlet strainer that might be clogged see what kind of pump you have.. Some of the pumps are pretty lousy for pressure and flow you dont know what your previous owner may have done.
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
Julian H

Post by Julian H »

Dog House: With the lever next to the head pulled out, if I turn the faucet on it acts and sounds like a bilge pump that barely has enough water to suck up. And whilst the faucet is turned on the pump is on continuously. Is ithe pump easy to access under the V- berth?
G36: I am not sure whether the F-26 has a hook-up for dock water I have not seen a connection for one.
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Julian H wrote:Dog House: With the lever next to the head pulled out, if I turn the faucet on it acts and sounds like a bilge pump that barely has enough water to suck up. And whilst the faucet is turned on the pump is on continuously. Is ithe pump easy to access under the V- berth?
G36: I am not sure whether the F-26 has a hook-up for dock water I have not seen a connection for one.
Remove your V berth cushions. Underneath should be a wooden cover. Remove the wooden cover and the water pump should be underneath it. It is very easy to get to.

From what you say about the sucking sound, it sounds like you have a leak on the inlet side of the fresh water pump. Check to see that the inlet hose is in all the way and connected correctly. Good luck!
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Julian H

Post by Julian H »

Thanks for the info Dog House. If I have time to get down to the marina in the morning I shall check it out.
oldboat1
Sporadic User

Post by oldboat1 »

I have two push/pull electrical switches in the head -- left one for the fresh water system and the right one for the shower bilge pump. The water system (faucets in the galley and the head -- incl shower) operate on demand -- with electrical switch on, pump activates when faucet is turned on, shuts off when faucet is turned off.

Air in my system is forced out (spitting and sneezing at the faucet), then the water begins to flow steadily.

I had issues with corroded switches (disassembled and cleaned). So far, the pump has worked. Pump on mine is located on the bulkhead in the engine compartment.
Motors should run. People -- not so much.

1980 F26, Mercruiser 305
1979 14' Starcraft, 1957 18 hp Evinrude and '57 3hp Evinrude kicker
Julian H

Post by Julian H »

Thanks for your input Old Boat.
In my head there is a push pull switch for the water and one for the toilet. Curiously the head has a shower pan but no shower apparatus, not sure what happened there.
I should be down the marina early tomorrow so will check both suggested locations for the pump.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Silly question... if it acts and sounds like a bilge pump that barely has enough water to suck up... do you really have water in your tank. You said you put 30 gallons in, but do you have a bad tank or hose before the pump and lost that water in to the bilge?
Julian H

Post by Julian H »

Well, here is an update.
Found the pump located in the engine bay. It looks in good condition. For some reason the pump pulsates very strongly when in operation which would lead me to think that it could be an electrical issue. Does anyone think that there might be an a/c d/c conflict going on there?
Julian H

Post by Julian H »

Just seen your post Captainmaniac..... there is no such thing as a silly question!!
I have an aluminum or stainless tank next to the engine that looks in good condition and the hull in the engine bay is completely dry.