Trojan f32 comversion to 4bt single

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Sronza

Trojan f32 comversion to 4bt single

Post by Sronza »

I am in the process of buying an f32. I am considering a single 4 or 6 bt cummins. Has anyone done this.
If not would 2 bts go in stock location with current velvet drives.
Idea is for this boat to be a trawler so planing speeds not important.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Trojan f32 comversion to 4bt single

Post by prowlersfish »

I am sure it could be done . As far as twins there has been a few done with 4BT/4BTAs and 6BT/BTAs issue with velvet drives is they do not have a down angle and engine would sit higher . Could be a floor clearance issue not sure. .Even with my down angle ZF gears floor is very close to my engines on my F36 (6BTA SW) Also you velvet drives may not be the right ratio some had 1 to 1 other 1.5 to 1 on the F32s . As far as going single it can be done . I have seen a single 6BT in a F36 never a F32 but I see little difference there .

Now the question is why ? While the F32 is a nice boat it is not a trawler hull . If it won't plane resale would be poor . Not much market for non-planning planning hulls . With that said I know of a F32 with small Perkins that is used as a trawler and they love it

Cummins B engines are great . Very reliable easy to get parts for . Not hard to work on . 4BT and 4BTAs do vibrate at idle is the one bad issue but its livable .

So That's my quick thoughts pro and con
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Sronza

Post by Sronza »

I live on the Trent river water system. Trenton Ontario. Speed is slow when traveling the area so although f32 is not a trawler I would be iseing it on the Trent and Lake Ontario. Speed not important so that is my thinking. If I could put a 6 bt single or 4bt single the cost would be considerably less the twin diesels. That said the boat would be a sporty looking trawler that gets good gas mileage. If it worked I would be happy.
I will look into the down gear. Wondering if by useing 4bt
The down issue would be solved.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I don't think height would be a issue if converting to a single . The added weight of a 6Bt maybe a plus going to a single FWIW
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I was going to raise the question of weight... pulling twins and going with a single small diesel may make it too light in the stern and more at risk in following seas especially with notoriously small rudder(s), especially if the rudders are not directly in your prop wash.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

captainmaniac wrote:I was going to raise the question of weight... pulling twins and going with a single small diesel may make it too light in the stern and more at risk in following seas especially with notoriously small rudder(s), especially if the rudders are not directly in your prop wash.
One reason I thing the 6B would be better choice At 1200+ its closer the 2 small blocks in weight .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I repowered an F-32 with Mercruiser 165 inline 6 cylinder gasoline engines, I also changed to Twin Disc 502 transmissions, to get the down angle and a reversing transmission, as both engines turn in the standard rotation. I think there is only one ratio in a 71 or 72C velvet drive that will let you run in reverse as the forward gear and as far as I know, Cummins does not offer a reverse rotation motor. maybe pointless anyway, seeing you are trying to change this to a single engine boat.
I managed to achieve about 4 gallons an hour running 10 knots and was able to top out at 20, I still see the boat running down the bay at plane, always makes me smile.

My advice.... to turn an F-32 into a single engine "trawler" is a waste of time, effort and money, you still end up with a light boat on the small size.
After all of the work I did on the boat, which was considerable and it turned out pretty nice, even if I say so myself, the boat still felt light and small. when you stepped aboard, the boat listed to the side you stepped on, which always made me feel like I was stepping aboard a trailer boat.

If you really want a single engine trawler, find yourself an Island Gypsy 32 or 36, a CHB 34 or Marine trader 34 or 37 from the same vintage as the F-32, you'll get the boat you want that was designed to be a 1.5 gallon an hour trawler, they are heavy and still have classic lines and will probably cost less than the conversion and you will be boating now, not two years from now after all of the projects to get her in the water.
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

I agree,

You will just waste a lot money for very little return and in the end you will have a boat that you will not be able to sell!
WillieTrojan (Owned F32, Willpower in Kinsale, Va)
Spanish Fort, Al

Looking for 33 International