fuel flow sensor question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

georgepet

fuel flow sensor question

Post by georgepet »

Hi all....

Forgive my absence....too much time overseas.....

Anyways, I followed a discussion on fuel flow sensors and have a query on who has installed Garmin GFS10's on their boat.

I looked at the installation instructions which said the sensor had to be placed above the maximum fuel height of tanks. With an F32 whose saddle tanks are above the engines that would appear to be difficult.

So, has anyone installed GFS 10's, and are there any suggestions before I install these? Also, how do you monitor the four tanks flowing into the two engines...

While looking at options, I ran into this site.....anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.interactio.co/optio-fuel

cheers

G
George P
1978 Trojan F32 "Defiant"
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Re: fuel flow sensor question

Post by mikeandanne »

I put the Garmin gfs 10 system in our old f32, it worked great, very accurate above idle. The sensors are mounted between the fuel tree filter and the engine fuel pump and have to be mounted with an incline up from the filter.This is the suction side of the engine fuel pump with the incline putting the sensors quite high in the engine compartment . I did not use the saddle tanks ( disabled ).
Do you have a Garmin data bus in your boat now ? Mike
g36
Moderate User

Re: fuel flow sensor question

Post by g36 »

if your just monitoring fuel useage then one sensor for each engine inline which is 2 and installed after the selector valve. but if your trying to keep up with how much fuel used/left in the fuel tanks then 4 one on each tank before the selector valve. when i had installed mine although lowrance sensors i installed them on the bulkhead near the fuel filters. the antisiphon check valves at the tanks if working will stop any siphoning effect if there is a leak
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe