Grade of Gas on Trojan F-26

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Julian H

Grade of Gas on Trojan F-26

Post by Julian H »

Evening all!
Does anyone know what grade of gas runs best on a Chrysler 225hp inboard engine on my F-26?
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Grade of Gas on Trojan F-26

Post by captainmaniac »

Regular should be fine. Some older engines prefer lead, or lead additives, but don't think yours is old enough to worry about that.
AlphaJustin

Post by AlphaJustin »

The only non-ethanol fuel is 91 octane so that's what I run I'm sure it'll run fine on anything though.
1972 Trojan F-25 with no TRJ number and a 4 barrel
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

The Chrysler 225 (318) engine will run on 87 octane gas just fine. Having said that, I always use 93 octane gas if possible. I add stabilizer to all the gas I put in my boat, but even so I'm worried about loss of octane from the fuel sitting unused (especially over the Winter). The octane numbers of fuel that sits will decrease over time. If I use 93 octane and it degrades to 90 octane, it doesn't matter because it is still more than or equal to 87 octane. It may or may not matter, but for the amount of fuel I use I'd rather play it safe. Add into that the 93 octane has a better additive package and less ethanol and it makes sense to me to use the 93 octane if possible.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Julian H

Post by Julian H »

Thanks guys!
The reason I was asking is that with a lot of gas stations here in central Texas running out of gas I have been stockpiling mid grade gas as both my car and motorcycle run on that grade. Should I not have to use it in my vehicles I just wanted to make sure it was safe to use on the boat.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Julian H wrote:Thanks guys!
The reason I was asking is that with a lot of gas stations here in central Texas running out of gas I have been stockpiling mid grade gas as both my car and motorcycle run on that grade. Should I not have to use it in my vehicles I just wanted to make sure it was safe to use on the boat.
You will be fine , hope you all in Texas recover soon
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

prowlersfish wrote:You will be fine , hope you all in Texas recover soon
+1

As for octane, many people don't realize that the higher the octane, the slower it burns. The main reason for using higher octane is to allow more advance in the timing, which can allow you to generate more horsepower with higher compression. If you don't need the higher octane, you might get more power and mpg with lower octane gas.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's