10 Meter Midcabin 4 Blade Props

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

10 Meter Midcabin 4 Blade Props

Post by zedtwentyate »

I'm looking to score some 4 blades for the midcabin. I know a few on here have upgraded already and I am curious of specs. The general consensus is that more transom lift should make for a better cruising attitude. I've scoured about every midcabin owners threads and haven't found an real specifics.

Can anyone share their results and specs?

I know it will never cruise like an express, but I have to believe there's some efficiency to be gained. SHe's running great on her 3 blades, but If I can cruise a littler better, I would be happy.

I already have Bennett drop fins installed. 24 x 12. That has helped this year...

Here's my current results
3000 RPM - 15 MPH and barely on plane
3200 RPM - 17-18 MPH
3600 RPM - 21 MPH
4000 RPM - 24-25 MPH
4200 RPM - 26-28 MPH

Bob at Beacon did some recon for me in the beginning of the season and here's what he said...

"Ok here is the best answer we have on 3 blade ver 4 blade props.
Back in 1989 Trojan could not find any difference between 3 blade and 4 blade on the 10 meter Med Cabin.
That said there was not at that time 1989 a 4 blade cupped prop. Today you can buy a 4 blade cupped prop.
Would a 4 blade cupped prop make a difference on your 10 meter we do not know."
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Re: 10 Meter Midcabin 4 Blade Props

Post by zedtwentyate »

Well, this may be the saddest forums post i've ever made :(
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 10 Meter Midcabin 4 Blade Props

Post by prowlersfish »

What I have found about 4 blades is the seem to help some mid range on many boats , but at a loss of top end . But this varies from boat to boat . One thing is when Trojan picked props they lot a lot at top speed . When selling boats speed numbers are important more so then mid range performance . Yet mid range/cruise is what really matters .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D