A PNW Trojan!! ??

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

PNWAlan

A PNW Trojan!! ??

Post by PNWAlan »

Still searching for a Trojan to call my own. Pretty slim pickin's out this way.

This F-28 just showed up. Take a look and tell me what you think before I schedule a drive down to look at her. My first impressions from the pics: exterior is decent, interior looks very nice, bilge and engine room need lots of TLC. I'm pretty good at marine electric and electronics so replacing old and corroded wiring and electrical bits is not a problem. All the electronics look pretty dated so an upgrade would definitely be in order.

Kind of ignore the listed price. Boats sell at a premium up here, but still could only see offering something well below what they are asking. Already checked with a reputable local shipper. About $2K to move her up here if under 14 ft on their truck. Add another $500 if over 14 ft and they need a chase car.

28' Trojan Sedan

Alan
AlphaJustin

Re: A PNW Trojan!! ??

Post by AlphaJustin »

I'm no professional but I didn't see anything that would turn me off that's a decent looking vessel and with minimal TLC be a real catch but that's just my humble opinion.
1972 Trojan F-25 with no TRJ number and a 4 barrel
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Engines look like they may needs some TLC (look at risers and elbows ) but other then that it looks pretty good from the photos
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
PNWAlan

Post by PNWAlan »

Yeah, prowler, everything below decks is going to need a thorough inspection and a survey for sure. I saw those risers and elbows and thought somebody took a wire brush and cleaned up rust and scale to make them "pretty" for the pictures.

Due to the impression I get from the pics and the location the boat is moored, if I had to hazard a guess I would say she has been used much more for a waterfront cabin than as a cruising vessel.

They originally had the engines listed as 360's then updated today to 318's. The cooling systems look more like pics I have seen of 360's but I am not an expert by any means. Speaking of being a dummy about inboards, is that a hydraulic steering ram on the starboard side in this pic?

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

That is a hydraulic steering ram . 318 and 360s look the same so I can't tell by the photos . Maybe the cooling system is different or its just a later style , I don't know . There is a plate in the boat with engine info , but that just tells you what it had new . Things change .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Servicing the outside of those engines (plugs, starboard oil filter change, port water pump impeller) will be a bugger with how close those fuel tanks are. OOps... on second glance, looks like v-drive setup, so flip that (port oil filter, and stbd impeller).

Ripples in the v-berth hull liner (pics 41 & 42) may indicate water intrusion, and potential mold behind the liner.

Otherwise nothing really screams out. That is a hydraulic steering ram you see at the transom, and the green thing you see on the transom in the top middle will be the the reservoir / pump for the Boat Leveler trim tabs.
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Regarding the engine size, if you go to look at the boat, check the casting numbers on the side of the block around the casting ( freeze ) plugs,it will be some numbers then 360 or 318 then some more numbers, that will tell you for sure.Now if those are fuel tanks, one is much larger than the other and both quite small, hopefully the tanks are somewhere else and larger, otherwise doesn't look too bad on the surface.
PNWAlan

Post by PNWAlan »

captainmaniac wrote:Servicing the outside of those engines (plugs, starboard oil filter change, port water pump impeller) will be a bugger with how close those fuel tanks are. OOps... on second glance, looks like v-drive setup, so flip that (port oil filter, and stbd impeller).

Ripples in the v-berth hull liner (pics 41 & 42) may indicate water intrusion, and potential mold behind the liner.

Otherwise nothing really screams out. That is a hydraulic steering ram you see at the transom, and the green thing you see on the transom in the top middle will be the the reservoir / pump for the Boat Leveler trim tabs.
I also noticed some staining on the headliner just aft of the chain locker. This pic shows where a capstan was removed and likely not sealed properly.

The ripples you saw would be leaking at life rail stanchions or hull to deck joint?

At any rate will make sure surveyor does a thorough test for rot in cored deck and stringers if I get an offer accepted. Am going to drive down to Scapoose (Portland OR area) Saturday to take a look.

Alan
Lance F28

Post by Lance F28 »

Nice looking F28! On mine there is a tag on top of the intake manifolds that gives the engine model, size, serial numbers, etc. Mine has two 318's, 225 HP ea. The two tanks you see in the engine compartment are freshwater tanks, the fuel tanks are located in the mid bilge area, just forward the engine room bulk head, one on each side and should be 100 gallons each if they are original. You will see them when you open the hatches in the salon. Good luck with your survey and let us know if you seal the deal.
PNWAlan

Post by PNWAlan »

Lance F28 wrote:Nice looking F28! On mine there is a tag on top of the intake manifolds that gives the engine model, size, serial numbers, etc. Mine has two 318's, 225 HP ea. The two tanks you see in the engine compartment are freshwater tanks, the fuel tanks are located in the mid bilge area, just forward the engine room bulk head, one on each side and should be 100 gallons each if they are original. You will see them when you open the hatches in the salon. Good luck with your survey and let us know if you seal the deal.
Thanks for the info, Lance. As for the "good luck", they say be careful what you wish for. If she follows me home I may be pestering the heck out of you with questions :D
Lance F28

Post by Lance F28 »

Pester away if you get it, it will be nice having another 28 owner to help figure things out with. However, I did notice an error in my previous post the fuel tanks are only 50 each for a total of 100. Sorry for that mistake.
PNWAlan

Post by PNWAlan »

Sadly had to let this one go :(

Hatchs over the engines were both soft and one weighed about 3 times as much as the other indicating it is totally water logged. Fore deck "tapped out" solid but bridge deck was soft and springy with spider web cracks throughout.

Manifolds,risers,and heat exchanges had almost all been patched with JB Weld and epoxy. The fuel line for the port side engine was disconnected and replaced with clear tubing bypassing the fuel filter. More than likely clogged with gunk from deteriorating fuel tank. No water in engine oil, but it was fresh so engines haven't been run much since the oil was replaced.

Interior panel on starboard side of bridge was raised about 1/2" above the deck and gap filled with pounds of caulking. All the screw holes for attaching the panel were empty. Lots of other empty screw holes throughout the boat to allow water intrusion.

All the accessories were worthless. Propane cooktop, refrigerator, radios, etc. all junk. The deck in the cabin is laminate flooring that is already swelling and cracking at the seams. I could go on .....

In a fit of madness I offered $4,000 for her. Broker called the owner (widow trying to get out from under deceased hubbies boat). She said she had an offer for $7K. So I headed home. Broker called me back when I was about half way home an said the offer was for the end of the month and she would take $5,000 for an immediate sale. Luckily I had returned to my senses by then and declined. If I were 10 years younger and didn't have to pay to have it shipped up here I might be tempted. But for now, the search goes on.

Alan
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

You know what they say, a free boat is the most expensive type! I would have walked on that one also, even if I really wanted one.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
AlphaJustin

Post by AlphaJustin »

You will find yours Alan just keep trying and the right one will happen.
1972 Trojan F-25 with no TRJ number and a 4 barrel
Lance F28

Post by Lance F28 »

Sorry to hear it was that bad but something better will come along. Keep up the search.