Interesting Trojan Story

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Captain Chill

Re: Interesting Trojan Story

Post by Captain Chill » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:10 pm

I've been debating the direction of my vents for a while now and would like to get a final answer on the issue.

It seems the overall consensus is to have the forward vent facing "backwards" to be more "open" and get more passive air into the vent.

A captain friend of mine thinks that to be dangerous. He understands the idea if I was on a small lake or river but since I use the boat on The Pacific Ocean he thinks it could be hazardous in certain situations. What do you all think I should do?
'The Pacific Chill' - F26 -1976

cappy
2018 Forum Supporter
2018 Forum Supporter

Re: Interesting Trojan Story

Post by cappy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:24 pm

VENT DIRECTION..

The reason Trojan (and others) face the intakes of the FWD vents to the stern, and the AFT vents are facing forward, is because the natural airflow inside these boats is FORWARD. ("Station Wagon Effect" )

The FWD vents are placed at the widest point on the hull (air EXIT) where the air pressure is lowest , and the rear vents (intakes) are place on the narrowest part of the hull where the air pressure is (relatively) highest. Think of the curve along the hull side acting like the cross section of the wing of an airplane when the boat is at anchor or moving creating airflow along the hull around it.

Turning the vents around, (now FWD vents facing FWD and AFT vents facing AFT) reduces their effectiveness significantly..

Dave