Can't Find Neutral

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Lance F28

Can't Find Neutral

Post by Lance F28 »

I have a Paragon transmission. The other day I was adjusting a leaky prop shaft stuffing box and had my son put the transmission in forward to check the drip rate and then reverse. While slowly shifting from forward to reverse, he paused in the neutral position and the shaft slowed but did not fully stop before going into reverse. He moved the shifter slowly while I watched the linkage and I manually shifted from forward to reverse on the transmission itself to try and find neutral and fully stop the shaft from turning, with no luck.

At start up the transmission was in neutral and the shaft was not turning only after putting it in gear we could not get it to go back into neutral and stop turning. The shaft slows down considerably but is still turning under power. After untying from the dock to pull out of the slip I noticed in neutral that side was still slowly pulling with enough power to move the boat. I am guessing internally there must be a valve not closing and is allowing transmission fluid to partially flow.

Has anyone had this problem, if so am I looking at removing the whole transmission to repair?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Can't Find Neutral

Post by prowlersfish »

Most likely the forward clutches dragging some . Not uncommon . I would not worry about it .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D