Rudder / steering issues after grounding!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Julian H

Rudder / steering issues after grounding!

Post by Julian H »

Well this is embarrassing! Coming back to the marina the other night in the dark and came around the headland a bit too tight and ran aground in the shallows. I got pulled off but now my steering is ridiculously stiff and I have to fight with it to have any control at slow speed. Just seeing if anyone else has had a similar experience and know what the cause may be. I'm not sure if the rudder is bent or the rod attached to it. Appreciate any input!
I have put the same post on the Trojan Boat Owners Club Facebook page with photos and video as I don't know how to upload onto the is page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1279789 ... _processed
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Rudder / steering issues after grounding!

Post by prowlersfish »

Most likely a been rudder shaft . I would also inspect the hull for any f-glass damage .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Re: Rudder / steering issues after grounding!

Post by Big D »

I agree with Paul; most likely a bent shaft. You may also have distorted the stern tube that the shaft goes through so it may need to be replaced. In any case, it looks like it should be removed and re-bedded anyway. You don't want to put off repairs for long. If it just happened, depending on its condition, they may be able to straighten the shaft, and the tube may still be okay. If you continue to use it in its current condition, you'll ruin the shaft and tube. You'll also ruin your steering cable if you force it to work under that much load.

Looks like your prop is damaged too. While she's out for the repair, I'd also dial the shaft to make sure it didn't get bent.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year