Easy to Service

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Paul
Active User

Easy to Service

Post by Paul »

A couple of years ago I started a project to fabricate a new set of plastic tanks to replace the existing fresh water and black water tanks that would be less work and strain to service. This idea came on the heels of having to change the sanitary hoses for the second time since restoring the boat in 2001. Well the project got derailed before I had a chance to install either tank and I hadn't thought much about the project until this past summer when I had to replace the fresh water supply pump. That's when I realized that I really needed to rethink the entire plumbing system in the engine bay and try to make it easier to service. When I replaced the plumbing system in 2001, I was younger, more flexible and a few pounds lighter and hadn't really considered how future Paul would deal with where I installed system components when it came time for service. I can honestly say that I'm tired of hanging upside down like a bat to service pumps, strainers, filters, etc.

So the project is now revived. I decided that after seeing a nice big empty space on the rear bulkhead that this would be a good place for all of the pumps and strainers to be mounted. I'll literally be able to sit on the muffler and service/winterize the pumps and strainers, isolate the hot water tank and drain the fresh water tank all mounted directly in front of me on that bulkhead. So as always 1 project turns into 10, I figured that since I was going to tear up the boat this much that I would do a few more projects that I could only do when the engine bay was this empty. They include moving then AC pump into the cabin next to the AC unit. This also included moving the water exit bulkhead fitting to the port side of the hull directly behind the unit itself, it was on the transom. This will mean fiber-glassing the transom hole shut in the spring. I also decided that it would be a good time to add drain lines with bulkhead fittings to the sides of the hull that would drain water from the engine hatch trough out of the boat instead of letting it drain into the bilge. I also decided to re-locate my already re-located oil filter to make it easier to access. Then of course it would be a good time to give the bilge a paint job while I'm down there. One job turns into how many???

Anyway, I figured this fall that I'd better get every thing done that required warm temps for drying before winter set in and I could concentrate on re assembly over the winter. Below are a few pictures of the progress.

The first 2 picture show some of the original component locations.
IMG_3334.JPG
IMG_3334.JPG (74.22 KiB) Viewed 2489 times
IMG_3317.JPG
IMG_3317.JPG (50.87 KiB) Viewed 2489 times
This next picture shows the bilge with the new tank mounting tabs epoxied into place and a fresh coat of paint. O yeah, did I mention that I had to get in there with a reciprocating saw and cut out the old tank mounts.
IMG_3344.JPG
IMG_3344.JPG (81.49 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
While I was at it, I figured that it would be easier to fill the water tank from a standing position on the dock as opposed to being on all fours on the floor of the cockpit filling it thru a deck plate on the floor. So I installed a deck plate and hose to accomplish this however it made my old gas deck plate look like sh*t so I replaced it as well. And speaking of sh*t, I didn't want the waste deck plate on the other side of the boat to be the only oddball so I replaced it as well.

This post has only allowed me these 3 pictures so I'll continue in reply.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Paul
Active User

Re: Easy to Service

Post by Paul »

Below is a picture of the new deck plates installed, don't mind the end of season dirty boat. The spider seems to approve.
IMG_3348.JPG
IMG_3348.JPG (49.54 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
The last picture is one of the new bulkhead fittings for the hatch drain.
IMG_3349.JPG
IMG_3349.JPG (36.84 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
Well that's about it for now, I'll post more as the work progresses.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Easy to Service

Post by WayWeGo »

Lookin' great!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's