Crusader454, Air in starboard raw intake strainer

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Lawlila

Crusader454, Air in starboard raw intake strainer

Post by Lawlila »

I have a new to me 84' Trojan 11 meter Express. After bringing her to her new home, I noticed the starboard engine raw water strainer was only half full of water. The port side was still full of water. There were no overheating issues during the trip. The engines are Crusader 454s with just over 500hrs. The setup is: Thru hull seacock, hose, shut off valve, hose, strainer, hose, pump. The strainers are low profile brass with clear cap and wingnut on top of cap. While running the engine at the marina I can clearly see water being pumped, and it is keeping pace with the half full water/half air scenario. I do not see any leaks or hear any air hissing sounds. The strainers have very little debris in them and I was told the impellers were newer. The strainers do look older, and may have at some point been leaking because it appears they were sealed with a black silicone/rubber substance along with a gasket. Two questions: 1. Are these strainers OEM? 2. Any idea why I may be getting air in them, or could this be a low flow issue caused by a bad impeller? Thanks in advance. P.S. This my first Trojan after 20yrs on the water with 10 different brands, and so far I love her!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Crusader454, Air in starboard raw intake strainer

Post by prowlersfish »

Are you saying its staying half full when running ? Look for any air leaks and look to see if the hoses maybe hooked up backwards .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

At least you're not a half-empty kind of guy.
Lawlila

Post by Lawlila »

prowlersfish wrote:Are you saying its staying half full when running ? Look for any air leaks and look to see if the hoses maybe hooked up backwards .
Yes, it is staying half full when running. Heading back down today to do a little more investigating. I can see water pumping in correctly, but I'll double check the hoses for correct placement and possibly try to find an air leak. Was probably just going to replace the older strainer and impeller, and start there I guess. Thanks for your response! I'll post updates as I find issues.
Lawlila

Post by Lawlila »

prowlersfish wrote:Are you saying its staying half full when running ? Look for any air leaks and look to see if the hoses maybe hooked up backwards .
Yes, it is staying half full when running. Heading back down today to do a little more investigating. I can see water pumping in correctly, but I'll double check the hoses for correct placement and possibly try to find an air leak. Was probably just going to replace the older strainer and impeller, and start there I guess. Thanks for your response! I'll post updates as I find issues.
Lawlila

Post by Lawlila »

bjanakos wrote:At least you're not a half-empty kind of guy.
LOL, definitely not.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

If you see the water coming in the top of the strainer when running, I think the input and output hoses are switched so it never draws the air out the top like it should.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's