Insta Trim / Boat leveler parts

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bjanakos
Moderate User

Insta Trim / Boat leveler parts

Post by bjanakos »

I have an origional set of insta-trim trim tabs and one of the pistons is leaking a little. I've looked high and low for a rebuild kit and can't find one. I tried the web site, sent several emails, and left voice mails with no response. No phone number listed on the site - I was provided one by TheHullTruth.

Is there any 3rd party parts sources? All I really need is the shaft seal. I'm on the verge of just getting a hunk of petro-safe rubber and making one.
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Re: Insta Trim / Boat leveler parts

Post by mikeandanne »

Try a regular hydraulic repair shop, you never know it might just be a standard off the shelf piece, can't hurt.

I had that stuff, took it all off and replaced with the bennett retrofit kit.
zbigk

Post by zbigk »

Trim Tab Spec.JPG
Trim Tab Spec.JPG (80.93 KiB) Viewed 11721 times
ZbigK
"Time Out"
Milford, CT
1982 F32 330hp MPI Crusaders
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I don't see seals listed , but being the cylinders are plastic good chances they are worn too . I would just replace the cylinder(s) as they are inexpensive .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Boat Leveler has been quite responsive and helped me out a bunch when I was having some problems with my trim tabs. I purchased cylinder rebuild kits from them, so I know they are available. The number I used was 800-386-7470 and Brian spend quite a bit of time helping me identify a problem. I sent my pump in to be rebuilt and when he got busy, he just sent me a new one without an upcharge! I got the idea they are a small company, so that might be part of your problem.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

That's the same number I used and we'll see if they get back to me. In all honesty, if they don't, screw it. It goes back on. I'd rather top off the fluid every couple of months than put that kind of money into it. I'm 99% sure this boat is on the sale block after it splashes... All it has to do is work right now.
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

You might want to consider the conversion kit to bennett cylinders. I used part number "bennett V351CK". Do a google search for it. What's nice is the hoses aren't exposed to the water. The fitting penetrates through the transom where the cylinder mounts to the transom and the hoses are inside the boat. Just a thought. Worked for me.
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I've gotten seal kits from them before but they've always sent them to me at no charge so no invoice and no part number on the package to pass on to you but they are available direct from Insta-Trim. Before you open up the cylinder, make sure it's completely retracted or you'll have a mess and inspect the inside of the actuator/cylinder before simply replacing the seals. If the wall is scored, don't bother with the seals, they'll just leak anyway, replace the whole cylinder.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Insta-Trim has always treated me very well. One of my hydraulic cylinders was leaking and I just purchased a new one. Hodges Marine is currently selling them for $95.35 with free shipping ( https://www.hodgesmarine.com/BOAT-LEVEL ... iramsegdoh ). You can try rebuilding but with plastic parts I always find its best to just replace.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

We're at the point of playing phone tag now. At least that's a step in the right direction. I work 12 hour days in a high-secure environment, so personal phone calls are not easy. I wish I could just be directed to a form or website etc and just pay the man. The boat goes back in hell or high water on Monday. I'll probably end up greasing the seals and hoping for the best.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

rebuilt mine with insta trim kits, worked perfectly.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

Beacon Marine sells all the Boat Leveler / Instatrim parts
as well as any part for any Trojan. Our prices would match what you would pay buying direct from Instatrim.

Beacon Marine
609 713 4602
Trojanboats.net
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

I just want the seals thanks. I think it's ridiculous to replace an entire piston for a minor leak. If I were to invest that kind of money, I would go with something like Bennetts that have parts that are serviceable and available.

I'm just going to put it back together despite the leak hoping a little petroleum jelly on the seals will help. Im going to splash it on Monday and my prediction is the performance of my new props will not meet my performance expectations and then out comes the "For Sale" sign.
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

If you E mail us at Trojanboatsnet@aol.com we can E mail you a Video taken a few months ago of a F-32 321 on plane at 3800 RPM’s It is a impressive video of a 321 running stock props 16 x 15 super cup NI with Crusader 350’s
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

bjanakos wrote:I just want the seals thanks. I think it's ridiculous to replace an entire piston for a minor leak. If I were to invest that kind of money, I would go with something like Bennetts that have parts that are serviceable and available.

I'm just going to put it back together despite the leak hoping a little petroleum jelly on the seals will help. Im going to splash it on Monday and my prediction is the performance of my new props will not meet my performance expectations and then out comes the "For Sale" sign.
Did you check with Bob to see if he had the seals ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D