New Trojan Express owner

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Fernan

New Trojan Express owner

Post by Fernan »

I am seriously looking a two 1988 10 meter express Trojans. The person that will perform the survey has expressed concern. He states that this model is prone to water absortion in the stringers and bulkheads. How much truth is there in this topic.
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Re: New Trojan Express owner

Post by zedtwentyate »

Fernan wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:01 pm I am seriously looking a two 1988 10 meter express Trojans. The person that will perform the survey has expressed concern. He states that this model is prone to water absortion in the stringers and bulkheads. How much truth is there in this topic.
We will need some additional details. I'm sure someone will chime in soon with some supporting links, but here's what you need to start with...

If the boat is a Trojan 10 meter mid cabin model (small aft cabin under the cockpit), then there are issues with wood stringers. If the boat is a 10 meter express, with no additional sleeping area, then you dont have to worry about. The 10 meter express does not have wood stringers.

I own a mid cabin and the weak point is the stringer limber holes. Those drain holes that are cut from the factory to allow the water to drain into the center of the bilge were never sealed right. You can test this by just simply wiggling the round tube in the holes. They will likely break free an allow you to get your fingers on the wood in the stringer. You can tell very quickly if there is an issue. I had to replace 10 foot of stringer as a result of this.

If it not too wet, you can simply epoxy over the wood and seal it up the way it should have been. I have some pictures of this somewhere. I know a few others have done this as well.

Paging BobCT!
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Fernan

Post by Fernan »

Thank you so much for your insight. The two vessels I am looking at are 10 meter express. My previous experience is 3 Sea Rays and one 29 Phoenix. The Sea Rays were 24 and 26. I was surprised when the surveyour warned about the water issue. I have not contracted yet but perhaps he does not know what he is talking about. Either way any items I should look for on this vessel that you may suggest?
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Fernan wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:18 pm Thank you so much for your insight. The two vessels I am looking at are 10 meter express. My previous experience is 3 Sea Rays and one 29 Phoenix. The Sea Rays were 24 and 26. I was surprised when the surveyour warned about the water issue. I have not contracted yet but perhaps he does not know what he is talking about. Either way any items I should look for on this vessel that you may suggest?
The user RWS is our resident 10 meter express expert. I’m only familiar with the mid cabin model. I’m sure he will chime in very soon.
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin