Trojan Jones Act Restrictions

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Misty
Sporadic User

Trojan Jones Act Restrictions

Post by Misty »

Here's a topic that I'm surprised search didn't reveal:

Since some hulls Trojan made clearly say MADE IN CANADA does that mean we have Jones Act restrictions? Say, if we want to run a charter biz, booze cruising, kayak mother ship etc...?
Are we breaking the law???? Or grandfathered out of the regulation?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Trojan Jones Act Restrictions

Post by prowlersfish »

If you are documented and they allowed you document the boat for trade then I see no issue . I know of some boats that have done just that. I believe smaller boats its not much of a issue like a ship . But please don't take that as fact Reading the USCG site is confusing

WHY AND HOW IS BUILD EVIDENCE ESTABLISHED?

Evidence that a vessel was built in the U.S. is required for a vessel which is to be used in the fisheries or coastwise trade. Build evidence is normally established by submitting a Builder's Certification on form CG-1261. That form must be completed by the person who constructed or oversaw the construction of the vessel or an official of the company that built the vessel who has examined the records of the company to determine the facts of build. The Original Builder's Certification or Facts of Build Letter must be presented with your submission. A copy will NOT be accepted.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

Well, I know they register USCG Taiwanese trawlers here. They don't like screen that I believe. But the act strictly states foreign built vessels carrying passengers or engaging for profit is a crime. There is a local maritime lawyer trying to convince the world that this is a big deal :roll: No Canada built boats engaging in charters, etc... in US waters...period. .. although I hear enforcement is a very different matter. I can call the OOD at USCG.

from maritimelawceter

The use of foreign owned or foreign built yachts in a commercial application is strictly prohibited. However, foreign built and owned yachts may operate in U.S. waters for pleasure and non-commercial purposes.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

http://www.maritimelawcenter.com/html/t ... s_act.html

One thing it leaves out , is 6 passengers or less do not need to be inspected vessels . More the 6 you do and that is a very big headache I don't think you want to deal with . BTW do you have your capts lic ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

No, but of course I would get that if I went through with this, at least the six pack. I'm not really considering it but was told if I did I can't with a Canadian made vessel.