water in oil -

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

marklo154
Sporadic User

water in oil -

Post by marklo154 »

Hello everyone,

Well finally launched here, and everything went well. Until a few days later.

So we launched the boat it ran for i would say 1/2 hour everything was fine.

Two days later I go to the marina going to do oil changes, fuel filter changes all that good stuff. I pull the dipstick on starboard engine and I almost had a hard attack. It was the chocolate milk color. Now I have winterized these motors several times, was shown years ago by a competent mechanic, I drain everything, run bio anti freeze throu, fog, even take apart the sea strainers. So I was puzzled. So i drain the oil I have just under 6 liters come out which I guess is a good sign in some ways. I drain all the oil change the filter, new oil and now I run the motor for I would say 1 hour, periodically checking the level on the dipstick and there is no change in the level. I again drain the oil and change the filter I got out what I put in still a bit of chocolate milk but I figure it was what was left in there. So now new oil and filter, check dipstick its now clear oil no signs of the chocolate milk. I run the boat for about 1/2 hour no change in oil level and no signs of water. I take the boat out and run it about an hour. Again no signs of change in oil level or water.

The only thing I can see that could of happen is. My top deck above the motors leaks like a siv, and I discover one of the oil filler caps on this motor is loose fitting and needs a new gaskets, the motor was un covered for a few days and there was rain. My only reasonable explanation at this point is that rain water leaked in through the filler cap. Is this a possibility ? how much water does it take to change the oil to the chocolate milk ?
1978 Trojan F36 Tri Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: water in oil -

Post by prowlersfish »

Big block Chryslers ? Rear engine /v-drive ? If so look at the valley plate below the intake . I have seen them rust through due to water leaks and guess where the water goes then .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
marklo154
Sporadic User

Post by marklo154 »

They are crusaders with v drives. I do have some rust on top under the carb i will have a look.
Im here at the boat now. After sitting all night checked the dipstick. No visble signs of water in the oil.
AlphaJustin

Post by AlphaJustin »

The water sinks in the oil it won't turn brown until it's run again.

It is possible you had water intrusion through the carb or oil cap it's not unimaginable to have even had a build up of condensation either way maybe you got through it.
1972 Trojan F-25 with no TRJ number and a 4 barrel
marklo154
Sporadic User

Post by marklo154 »

I think thats what happen. Again I ran the boat a good few hours yesterday no issues.

Prowler Fish - I do have rusting in the valley areas as you mentioned. How should I address this beside the obvious of stopping the leak.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

As long as nothing is rusted thru no issue on a Chevy small block . On a B block Chrysler the valley area is not sealed by the intake and the plate under it can rust away . I would just clean and paint .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D