Wet Sanding, Compounding, Sore Arms and a Custom Catamaran

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Wet Sanding, Compounding, Sore Arms and a Custom Catamaran

Post by zedtwentyate »

Well folks, here's the latest from beautiful Syracuse, NY.

1. My stripes are gone and my hull shines. I paid a local guy to wet sand the stripes off and buff out below the rub rail. While he was doing it, i managed to get some lessons in wet sanding.

2. I wet sanded just about every inch above the rub rail to remove YEARS of crappy oxidation due to neglect and poor care of the glass. My process was very simple. Most of the boat i did with 1000 and even 2000. In a few spots where it was bad, i started with 600 or 800 and worked my way up. I compounded with my rotary buffer and then polished a product from a local company called Reliable Products. The product is called "rejuvenator" and its made for gel coat. I followed that up with a nice carnauba wax. I'm super pleased with the results. Here's a few shots that kinda show how it looks now:

The last one really doesnt do it justice.

3. I've watched a guy at my buddies marina build himself a custom catamaran from scratch for the last 3 years. Today it set sail for the first time. I really didnt think he was ever going to get off the hard. He actually built EVERYTHING himself from scratch. It's a marvel of engineering. The finish work isnt quite there, but its majestic to see it float. For the Whovians out there, he calls it The Time Lord. Here it is at the marina and floating down Chittanango Creek in Bridgeport, NY. Look for it in the canals! He claims hes headed to "New England" for the summer and then down the coast. This thing is powered by two Kohler Motors. They dont even have covers on them. I'm clueless as to what they really are. I cant wait to see his updates on facebook. Just figured I'd share!

Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Wet Sanding, Compounding, Sore Arms and a Custom Catamaran

Post by prowlersfish »

Your boat looks great , the other is interesting to say the least . Kohler engine ?? Never seen one on a boat .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Nice job on the gelcoat!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Lance F28

Post by Lance F28 »

Nice Job! I've had those wet sanding sore arms before. Very satisfying when you get finished though.
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

prowlersfish wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:37 pm Your boat looks great , the other is interesting to say the least . Kohler engine ?? Never seen one on a boat .
Nice job on the gelcoat. Now can you be hired out :)

Kohler engines, may just be those flat head four tractor engines Kohler used on their gens for years, possibly.
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

I thought about wet sanding mine and decided to leave it for another year.

Yours turned out amazing!
Currently Trojan-less :?
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I'm pleased with the results. There are a few spots I'd like to hit again, but overall she's looking great. I know the general opinion is that you should try everything else before wet sanding, but it became really clear that she needed the sanding. Now I have to decide my method for cleaning the oxidation off the non-skid. I've tried the Maguire's product you use with a brush, but that didnt quite cut it. Anyone have any tips?
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin