F26 Cockpit Windows

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Boppy
Sporadic User

F26 Cockpit Windows

Post by Boppy »

The older I get the harder it is to flip open the cockpit windows on my 77 F26 HT. I use my boat hook to push the open and then screw down the knobs on the channels before they come crashing down. Was thinking about gas-assisted risers but not sure how to attach them. Any ideas out there? Thanks
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
Erie Canal cruiser lookin’ for my mule
Great Sacandaga Lake, Mayfield, NY
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: F26 Cockpit Windows

Post by captainmaniac »

Of course I can't find any pictures online quickly, but I have seen a different kind of mechanism that I will try to describe...

Picture a piece of railing mounted to the dash, running fore and aft, about a couple of feet long. There is a fitting that slides back and forth on the railing, and it has a knob that you can use to tighten things up and lock it in position. Off of this fitting there is an arm that goes to the bottom of the window. So... to open the widow you loosen the knob, push it away from you, then tighten it when the window is open to where you want it to be.
Boppy
Sporadic User

Post by Boppy »

Hey. Thanks. At first I was thinking "what the.....I already have that set up" but then today I understood what you were talking about. I'll try to find that hardware.
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999
Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

Can you post a picture of what you're talking about?

I also was thinking about automatic window openers. Pulling a switch and having the windows go up and down would be so cool. I picture something that you find on an automatic trunk of a car. I haven't the slightest clue where to start though so I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that wants it to be easier.
'The Pacific Chill' - F26 -1976
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Okay... not the best of shots, but here's the idea

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1974/C ... zV1_Ionbcs

Scroll through this to the helm shot, and you can see the knob on a slider in front of the helm. Loosen the knob, push the slider forward, then tighten it down. If you search for Chris Craft 35 double cabins on Yachtworld and look for helm shots you may be able to see the idea from alternate angles or in better detail. Where to get one - couldn't tell you... but they are used on this vintage of CC 35's, and I am sure I have seen them or similar idea on old (60s vintage) Trojans / Chris Crafts / Sheppards, maybe even Owens.
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

My 1971 Trojan F26 has them. I just thought every Trojan had them.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Dieselram94

Post by Dieselram94 »

My late seventies f-26 has them as well
Boppy
Sporadic User

Post by Boppy »

Finally got around to seeing these replies. Yes, my 1977 F26 HT has the sliders and knobs on both sides of each window, but accessing these requires leaning over the dash & cabin bulkhead in front of them. No problem when I was 50+ and "strong like bool" but now at 70+ it requires me to use my boat hook to first push out the windows and then lock them in 1 of the 3 open position notches on the sliders. I saw the center sliders on the 1974 CC double cabin and they look good but the front cockpit windows are heavy and I'm not sure one slider in the middle would do the trick. I think I'm gonna stick with what I have and just enjoy the boat. Many thanks for your help with this, though.
‘77 F26 HT Since 1999