Fuel starvation

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jpb219

Fuel starvation

Post by jpb219 »

Was up and running just fine. After about 15 minutes of no wake and 5 minutes cruising at 3500-3800 RPM both engines stalled at the same time. I was able to restart them both fairly quickly. Got to our destination, engines off for about 45 minutes, then both restarted and ran fine until about 5 minutes again at 3500-3800 RPM both engines stalled again. This time I was only able to restart the starboard engine. Got back to harbor on one engine. Next day both engines fired right up. Went out again and basically the same thing happened again except this time I couldn’t restart either engine and had to be towed back to harbor. Now neither engine will start. Since both engines ran fine initially with no rough idle I don’t suspect spark plugs, wires, or anything ignition related. I checked the carb inlet screens. Starboard side was clean, port side had a little grit, but not enough to completely clog it. Not a drop of fuel came out on either side when I disconnected the fuel lines. I had to replace one line because the inlet fitting was rounded off and there was a slight kink in the line. Not a drop of fuel came out at the fuel pump either. I suspected anti-siphon valves being stuck and removed only the port side valve since both engines are drawing fuel from the port tank. It’s not like any of the valves you find today. It doesn’t even have a check ball. It has a plunger, spring and a disc held in place by a snap ring. I removed all three just to see if this was restricting fuel flow and attempted engine start...stil no start. Both water separating fuel filters are new. The fuel pickup tubes are soft hoses that are somehow sealed to the threaded hole where the anti-siphon valve screws in. Does anyone know if there is some way to remove it to check for a clogged screen of if there even is a screen on the end of the hose?
1987 8.6 Meter Express
Twin Mercruiser 350 Magnums
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Re: Fuel starvation

Post by Reel Easy »

Try taking off the fuel line from your pump and see how much fuel pumps out into a container when you crank it over. Or try a different fuel supply to verify fuel pump works properly. Be careful with both.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

When i work with gas in the engine room like this, i set a container in a 5 gal bucket. I disconnect blower tubing clamps and clamp end of hose near top of or in bucket.

Catches all the heavier than air gas fumes, bucket doubles as catch basin on case of spill.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

Great idea.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio