prop sizing for 36' tri-cabin

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jhdean

prop sizing for 36' tri-cabin

Post by jhdean »

Due to a recent grounding I am replacing both my props. The old props are 18 x 18 3-blade however the yard where my boat is has a pair of 18 x 18 4-blade props in stock, any thoughts on how these will perform on my boat with 350ci Crusader Marine engines? The yard guy thinks I should have the 4-blade props re-pitched to 17, any thoughts on that? Thanks.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: prop sizing for 36' tri-cabin

Post by prowlersfish »

you did not say what year the boat is . But going from 18x18 3 blade to a 18x17 4 blade would give about the same performance. So the yard is right on removing 1" pitch How is the boat doing now ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jhdean

Post by jhdean »

The boat is a 1981 . We hit an unmarked shoal on Oneida Lake doing about 5 knots and other than a few paint chips off the keel and the bent props no other damage. I've only had the boat since last Fall and in the process of fixing some minor odds & ends like re-bedding the loose lifeline stanthions
and getting the engine guages working properly. The tachs are very sporadic and now the stbd engine oil preasure guage isnt working which makes me nervous. The engine is full of oil and has low hours since being repowered 4 years ago so I'm pretty sure that its just the guage but need to get that sorted out. Also, would anyone happen to know where the water goes from the drain in the tub in the aft cabins head? I found that the drain in the fwd head was just going into the bilge so Im installiing a proper shower sump below the holding tank but don't see any way to get access to the drain for the aft cabin head. I've had sailboats for over thirty years but this is my first powerboat so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

jhdean wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:23 am I've had sailboats for over thirty years but this is my first powerboat so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
John
Well, better late than never.

I have a sump with pump under the floor in front of the aft bed. Appears to be aftermarket.

Wait, the drain for the head, the actual head, or the gray water drain???

Fyi, you can access the tub drain fitting and hose by removing the left inside of the vanity. Or so im told....
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
jhdean

Post by jhdean »

What Im trying to track down is the drain for the grey water from the tub, on my '81 tri-cabin the vanity under the sink doesnt provide access to it but I havnt torn up the carpet in front of the bet yet.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

my 84 has a removable panel on deck at foot of aft bed. It is the overboard for gray water from master bath. Bad thing you have to pull up carpet to get to it.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
jhdean

Post by jhdean »

Thanks for the info, I'll pull the carpet and see what I can find.
horhay1946

Post by horhay1946 »

On My 81 there is a sump under a hatch at the end of the bed. It drains both the tub and the sink. the sump is basically a small pan with a bilge pump in it. I replaced that with a closed sump. The head goes elsewhere
1985 Mako 258 (One Owner)
1981 Trojan Tri Cabin

George
jhdean

Post by jhdean »

Thanks,the boat is still on the hard but I should have the new props on and be back in the water by the end of the week and be get in there to see what I have. I already bought a proper shower sump for the Fwd head so will pick up another one for the Aft drain if it doesnt have one in there.