identity confusion

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

topseaturvy

identity confusion

Post by topseaturvy »

According to my bill of sale and the manuals that came with the boat with pictures in the manual showing my boat it is a 1985 37 ft or 11 meter, sedan. So no helm in the salon only on the bridge. My question is why do I have a "Trojan 400" decal on the outside of the sliding windows of my salon? Also on the sides of the bridge enclosure on both sides is a pot metal ( probably aluminium) badge that says "Trojan International" if that means anything.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: identity confusion

Post by prowlersfish »

Sounds like what you have is Trojan International 11 meter , But they did make a Trojan 400 in the early 80s that was not a Trojan International
Attachments
Trojan 11 Meter International
Trojan 11 Meter International
Trojan-11-Meter-International-10095101.jpg (48.92 KiB) Viewed 7559 times
Trojan 400 1980
Trojan 400 1980
trojan-400-1465160.jpg (22.73 KiB) Viewed 7559 times
Trojan 400 (carver)
Trojan 400 (carver)
trojan-400- c.jpg (13.2 KiB) Viewed 7559 times
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
topseaturvy

Post by topseaturvy »

Yes prowlersfish, it's the model with the red canvas. At the bottom of the tinted sliding window, there is a black vinyl strip about 4 inches high that basically goes along the bottom of all the windows. The Trojan 400 lettering is laser engraved into that strip of black vinyl with a silver shading.
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

There are two 400s the old one was a F-40 motor yacht the other 400 is 12 Meter express.

Post a picture of this 400 decal and we can tell you if it is something that Trojan ever used.

If you have a 11 meter it is not a Model 400.

Look for the Hull number on a aluminum plate the size of a credit card. It will be on the AC / DC / Gen Panel

It will have a number that is three number followed by four numbers. First four number are the Model
Four number the year and last three the Hull number

Post the number and we will decode it for you.
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
topseaturvy

Post by topseaturvy »

The numbers on that tag are 731-5017. After about 30 minutes of scratching my head trying to figure out how I would let you see a picture I took of that decal, I've given up. I don't think there are enough years left in my life to jump through all the hoops for that on here. Anywhere else on the internet it's such a simple process of clicking on that paper clip icon and in seconds the process is complete. The letter font style is a square black letter with rounded corners and the grey shading is to the right. All upper case letters and the J doesn't have a horizontal line across the top. Similar to the font style used here. It definitely looks like it was done at the factory.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

topseaturvy wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:59 pm The numbers on that tag are 731-5017. After about 30 minutes of scratching my head trying to figure out how I would let you see a picture I took of that decal, I've given up. I don't think there are enough years left in my life to jump through all the hoops for that on here. Anywhere else on the internet it's such a simple process of clicking on that paper clip icon and in seconds the process is complete. The letter font style is a square black letter with rounded corners and the grey shading is to the right. All upper case letters and the J doesn't have a horizontal line across the top. Similar to the font style used here. It definitely looks like it was done at the factory.
Its easy , can you email mail me the photo I can post I will sent you a pm .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

topseaturvy wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:59 pm The numbers on that tag are 731-5017. After about 30 minutes of scratching my head trying to figure out how I would let you see a picture I took of that decal, I've given up. I don't think there are enough years left in my life to jump through all the hoops for that on here. Anywhere else on the internet it's such a simple process of clicking on that paper clip icon and in seconds the process is complete. The letter font style is a square black letter with rounded corners and the grey shading is to the right. All upper case letters and the J doesn't have a horizontal line across the top. Similar to the font style used here. It definitely looks like it was done at the factory.
Here it is . Do you have some of the whole boat ?
Attachments
trojan 400 decal sm.jpg
trojan 400 decal sm.jpg (60.57 KiB) Viewed 7454 times
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

Do you have a aluminum tag that looks like this ?

Also a picture would really help ID you boat
Attachments
4E5A2E67-86B8-4669-AB23-D3C77029145D.jpeg
4E5A2E67-86B8-4669-AB23-D3C77029145D.jpeg (202.36 KiB) Viewed 7438 times
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Very Nice Boat IMO the Decals were added
Attachments
decal3.jpg
decal3.jpg (124.28 KiB) Viewed 7429 times
decal2.jpg
decal2.jpg (77.79 KiB) Viewed 7429 times
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
topseaturvy

Post by topseaturvy »

That's really quite puzzling if that decal was added later. I mean what would be the intent? As you can make out if you look closely at the last two pictures. The windows are tinted very dark. Then there is a black band about 4 inches high which appears to be your typical adhesive vinyl. Then a space above that wide band about maybe 1/2" and then another strip above that which is about 1/4" wide also in black vinyl. These 2 vinyl bands go along the bottom of all the windows, lincluding the front ones as well. As I look close at the decal, I'm realizing that the grey shading is actually the only part that makes up the lettering and it's laid on top of the black.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

People do strange things , Guess someone liked the look or sound of "Trojan 400" :D
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
topseaturvy

Post by topseaturvy »

Haha, yeah makes the boat seem longer. Just what the marina likes to see with their "stretchy" tape measures when they calculate the boats length for moorage rates. haha
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by El L Sea »

topseaturvy wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:22 pm Haha, yeah makes the boat seem longer. Just what the marina likes to see with their "stretchy" tape measures when they calculate the boats length for moorage rates. haha
In Florida, marinas are doing away with the tape, and charging based on the slip size, not the boat size.
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

El L Sea wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:46 pm
topseaturvy wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:22 pm Haha, yeah makes the boat seem longer. Just what the marina likes to see with their "stretchy" tape measures when they calculate the boats length for moorage rates. haha
In Florida, marinas are doing away with the tape, and charging based on the slip size, not the boat size.
They are doing that around here in Va . Our marina changed to slip length a few years back . This is on slip leases . Transients still go by boat length . They ( our marina ) normally take the owners word . Only seen the tape out once when a "30 footer" tape out to over 40 . Many places on the ICW charge you for every foot , plat form to anchor .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
topseaturvy

Post by topseaturvy »

In my marina it's whatever is longer. So if you're boat is 38 foot long overall and you're in a 40 ft slip you get charged for 40 feet. If you are 42 feet overall in that same slip you get charged for 42 ft. Many of us back in and tuck the dinghy along side the bow and between the dock. If it sticks out past the furthest point on the bow of the boat you get charged an extra foot or whatever it is. They actually routinely do checks.