water tank

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

lasker

water tank

Post by lasker »

looking for a fresh water tank for a 321 Trojan 1979
1979 321 Trojan
bssmnbll

Re: water tank

Post by bssmnbll »

Me too. Ours had a leak before but this year it won’t hold water, going to take it out and glass it completely
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I'm in similar 'boat' (pun intended!). Have always winter stored indoors, but 2-3 years in a heated storage facility and the plywood tank top has contracted enough to break the seal with the lower tank. Tried using an epoxy to seal all leaks a year ago, but this spring its leaking again... Can try to seal again, but lets face it - it's a 40 year old tank, and don't know what might be growing in it, so enough with the patching and time to replace.

At least one person on the forum has pulled their tank before (mikeandanne) viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10002, and says they didn't find it too hard especially after lifting aft deck, which also requires flybridge ladder to be removed..

My issue is in finding the few screws that are fastening the tank to the stringers, vs fighting with 100+ screws that aren't going to help - and likely stripping half of them in the process. Also in getting a new tank made, most poly companies want a template from you .. would have to factor in bottom angle and stringer separation, plus whether tank will sit on the bilge floor or have something to lift it off the floor and how high (to let bilge water through and airflow to avoid mould/mildew), and whether sitting on bilge floor or on supports/spacers in bilge is its entire support or it also has flanges that screw into top of stringers to help hold the tank in place (then all the other measurements need to be that much more accurate).

mikeandanne - and anyone else who has replaced the water tank in an F32 - I am open to, and welcome, a "Replace your F32 Water Tank for Dummies" post. A year ago winter was replacing the hydraulic steering, this past winter was new head, this coming winter will include fresh water tank...
bssmnbll

Post by bssmnbll »

We have a 1976 F32, and is a sport fish model so the tank is underneath the sole of the cabin. It too is attached to the plywood of the floor but I don’t know if the plywood is the top or not, but will be pulling it out.
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Guys, these water tanks are easy to clean and repair. they are just fibreglass. Take out, take home, fill with water and watch where the leaks are and then restore in the garage.

Cap, you are way overthinking this, there are maybe 20 some odd screws, on mine there were 4 long screws holding it to the stringers near the corners.Honestly once the air conditioner was off there the tank took maybe 10 minutes tops out, it is light . In my case the corners were leaking from flexing, I ground it clean and repaired with roving and resin. A new top would be a snap.

The hardest part for me was the deck plate, very heavy and awkward.The ladder is easy, a few minutes. Buddy if I still lived in Burlington I would come to the harbs and help.I really think the fibreglass tank is the best.