Water Leaks. Ughhh...

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Water Leaks. Ughhh...

Post by Stripermann2 »

So after 18 years being under a covered slip, and now moored in an open slip, we've discovered a few water leaks where water is dripping from the bulkhead above side windows in the salon in our 1985 F32. We have small holes where previous owner had window blind hardware attached to it the fiberglass. Water is getting into cabin top and finding it's ways down through these small screw holes.

I have lifted the fly-bridge surround and caulked all screw holes and rebedded with new screws. I know others have had this issue and perhaps found the source. Rain gutter all around is clear and free of debris. I do have a half tower and am getting ready to uplift the surround and tower piping and inspecting again...
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Water Leaks. Ughhh...

Post by captainmaniac »

Wasn't clear if you were having problems on both sides or just one... but one consideration for starboard side is the wiring / cabling run from flybridge controls down below.

I observed an issue a few years back on my '79 where rain was coming through my bridge cover (needed re-waterproofing) and dripping on the 'box' to the starboard side of the helm console. Wires, throttle/shift cables, and hydraulic lines all run from under the console, out the starboard side and into that box, then through a conduit to run below through the chunky window frame in the salon.

Well, that box isn't waterproofed, so water landing on the box just ran around the edges and dripped on to the wires and stuff that ran through it... and followed the wires in and down through the conduit.

You could have water coming in the same way, or maybe the conduit-to-bridge-floor joint needs caulked.

You say you lifted and rebedded the bridge surround -- any chance you need to do the same with the helm console and/or seat bases?
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

Jamie - Is this the area that you're dealing with?
water.JPG
water.JPG (70.45 KiB) Viewed 13148 times
This was windshield leak, ran through and found its way. ( this is an 88, which by the way is getting the flybridge re-cored this winter)
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Thanks for the reply. NO, my leaks are above the salon windows, port and starboard. Windshield is not leaking and I re-bed my seat bases a few years ago so I don't think it's coming from them. The console maybe...the side cover up on the bridge, possible and I will look into that as well.

Thanks,

Jamie
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders

-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Look at the screws holding the helm down . Make sure the bridge scuppers are clear ,
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Also, if you have water in the core of your flybridge, you will get water dripping when you drill holes for blinds above the salon windows. That is a low point in the coring.

I recently found out the previous owner of our boat had drilled 1/4" holes in the floor of the flybridge under the carpeting. I assume he just abandoned a drill and fill repair without sealing the holes. I will be repairing the coring the next time the boat is on the hard. Just one of many surprises we have found along the way. We keep making progress towards a safe and reliable boat!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Yup, there is water in the core and when it rains, it leaks from the holes which previous owner drilled for window blind hardware. I'm trying to see if anyone has had luck with finding water intrusion from another source then the obvious places which have been mentioned.

Thanks.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders

WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Do you have full canvas or is your flybridge exposed to the elements?

I am not that familiar with the F-32, but the cable chase on the F-36 would be a likely place to look. Also, check under the front of the flybridge - on our boat, the wiring for the anchor light and spotlight come up through the floor.

That said, I would think that the water is coming in near the back of the flybridge.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's