318 4 BBl carb

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 318 4 BBl carb

Post by WayWeGo »

There is something weird going on here. When you have the starboard engine running faster than the port, the boat should be turning slightly to the left.

It sounds to me like the secondary is still not opening up or there is no fuel getting to its jets.

While I realize that the 6212S is the carb that came with your boat, Carter showed it as a 700cfm carb and that is a lot of carb for a stock 318. you might consider just replacing with a 600cfm Edelbrock 1409, which is a copy of the Carter AFB you have with smaller secondaries. Even a 440 will be fine with a 600cfm carb as long as it stays at or below 4000 RPM. The 1409 will give you better throttle response and should slightly improve your fuel efficiency.

Here is some carb info from Carter: http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manu ... ndMisc.pdf

Also, have you checked the ignition system? This really sounds like a fuel problem, but it is worth a few minutes to make sure the timing is correct and the advance is working.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

WayWeGo wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:13 am There is something weird going on here. When you have the starboard engine running faster than the port, the boat should be turning slightly to the left.
300 rpm would be hardly noticeable , and both engines are way low . So both have issues or its likely a boat / running gear issue .

Hammerhead have your ever had them running near 4000 rpm in the past ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
hammerhead

Post by hammerhead »

thanks. pulling it out tomorrow for the winter
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

hammerhead wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:34 pm thanks. pulling it out tomorrow for the winter
I hope she is dirty so you know is that's the issue , check the prop size while its up . Photos at haul out and I will give my thoughts .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
hammerhead

Post by hammerhead »

we are thinking about just going ahead and replacing the carbs. i read the edelbrock 1409 was 1 option but have to mill for the pcv valve. whats everyone on heres suggestion.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

How did the bottom, shafts, props and rudders look at haul out?

Drilling and tapping the 1409 is not that difficult, just make sure not to get any metal filings where they do not belong. A good article on doing this is at http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... nd+tapping. I just checked and the link was broken, but I looked at it last week, so I am hoping it will be restored soon. The provider of that link also has some information at https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/chriscr ... 4-s20.html.

If you do end up modifying a 1409, make sure you don't drill too deep and go into the primaries!

Please note that any carb modifications you make are at your own risk and I did not recommend you make them... :roll:
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's