New Trojan owner--need lots of help

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

fighterpilot
Sporadic User

New Trojan owner--need lots of help

Post by fighterpilot »

Bought a 1986 Trojan 10 Meter express last week. Twin 300 Cummins. No books and the owner was met just once. His mechanic showed the boat as a favor to the owner. Consequently didn't get any kind of check out of systems or how they work. Only used for fishing, A pump under the deck in front of the toilet entrance has been uncoupled and disconnected. Sitting on top of a tank that looks like it may be the holding tank. But what was that pump used for. Is boat equipped to dump holding tank at sea?? Electrical panal has broken off DC switches and custom labels here and there. Holding tank was full, hydraulic steering pump leaking, bilge pumps not working properly, Drain hose from bathroom sink, gone, toilet doesn't work, etc. Bought it knowing a winter project ahead. Having trouble sorting out bilge pumps and their operation. One, just aft of the Lugger generator, in the single hatch door compartment it looks as if the deck floor had been cut and a very small diameter bilge pump put there. It isn't working.

Need some manuals if available.
Will the 180 dollar manual give me the answers needed to work through all of this? Thanks
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: New Trojan owner--need lots of help

Post by WayWeGo »

The manual from Beacon Marine will give you all the documentation you would have received if you were the original owner. I have mine and it is a huge help when working on the boat.

What it will not do is help you with any changes made since it left the factory.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

It will help a lot . But being it has been repowered there will be differences
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

Went ahead an ordered one. Should help with most systems on the boat, excluding the engines etc. Last boat was a Californian 34LRC and found that pretty easy to figure out, but on this boat everything is hidden. Water and waste system is a challenge and 12 volt system is much complicated compared to the old Californian. So, looking forward to the book.

Present dripless isn't dripless, in fact one shaft is leaking quite a bit. Will have it hauled after we get more acquainted with the boat and able to include anything else that is fixable at haul out. Intend to remove dripless and go back to standard old packing. Note there has been improvements in the packing material and am not comfortable with what I see in the attached picture.
100_2855.JPG
100_2855.JPG (70.79 KiB) Viewed 6218 times
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I may be able to help you.

You said 1986 EXPRESS

Is this a MID CABIN model or a true EXPRESS?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

True express. No mid cabin. I have made another post talking about the waste and water systems with questions that if answered would help me understand them. Naver had a boat with Vac flush. It also has a macerator so not sure how they are all tied together. Is macerator typically in line with the vac. flush to the holding tank? Or is it in use only if pulling from the holding tank to dump overboard?? Also, When push the lever down to flush the toilet- no flush action but do see water below the trap door. Don't know if holding tank full or vac. motor just trapping the water since not working. Thanks
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The vacuum generator pulls waste from the head and sends it to the tanks . The macerator is used to pump the tank over board . Not leagal in most areas . Is the Vacuum generator working ? It looks pretty bad shape . Did you have a Survey done ? was it working then ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

Appreciate the information. Now I can begin to sort out the waste system. Can I get the manuals for the systems from their makers?? I had a survey done, but compared to my four other boat surveyors, this surveyor was a disaster. But that is a whole other discussion. So, I had to ask him to do things that are usually done and than his effort was slip shod and incomplete. I finally gave up. For example he said toilet worked, it didn't. Informed me hey don't tap the hull anymore-damages paint. left his moisture meter home. Had to go get it and with the boat in the sling, batteries went dead. Took pictures but didn't really work systems. So, long story short, most systems didn't get worked. Bought the boat planning on doing a lot of work on it, since, other than the engines had been neglected an unused for nearly a year. Bottom was cleaned in the water every month, but other than that it sat at the dock. Now I am trying to learn the systems and their layout in the boat. Like I said, never had vac toilet so new to me. On our Californian systems were a little more straight forward. I even put a y valve in the pump over the side waste system so I could hook a water vac system to it an empty the waste tank at our dock. Too a couple of trips but it was doable.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

regarding the photo in this thread, please tell me those are NOT the factory 1.25" shafts behind those Cummins...…..

RWS
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

From looking at the picture showing the large white hose leading down into what appears to be a compartment that could hold a tank, assume that is the hose dumping from the vac pump to the tank. . Assume there must be a hose out of the bottom of the tank that leads to the maserator pump such that tank can be pump overboard. Is that correct for plumbing? Or is there a hose and Y valve such that the vac. pump can send directly to the macerator and accordingly pumped overboard vice going into the tank?? A manual, with pictures for this installation would be helpful.
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

RWS, they are 1 and 1/2. But note you posted about trim tabs with your yanmars. As I noted out boat had the trim tabs removed. Thinking about putting some back on. Seems to be a little nose high in cruise mode, You noted didn't help your speed but could change attitude. Cummins heavier than your Yanmars but would like a lower nose attitude for cruise. According to Boat Diesel calculator using 18,000 displacement cruise seems to be in line with what i am seeing so don't know about adding trim tabs. Your thoughts.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

when I had the gas engines I upgraded the tabs to a longer tab with dropfins.

These made a tremendous difference with the gas engines, and were very beneficial in operating the boat at the most efficient speed.

The boat had an ENSIGN digital tach/sync and a FLOWSCAN gas flow meter which together with GPS made the data collection and analysis extremely accurate

The tabs got the a$$ end of the boat up and greatly improved the running attitude, making for better speed and efficiencies.

With the diesels, it seems that the larger wheels and increased torque combine to increase the lift.

The tabs have zero effect on the floscans and no effect on GPS speed.

We RARELY use the tabs with the diesels, unless we are tubing or perhaps in a close chop, where one wants to get the bow down, or otherwise balance the boat

I believe in your case it would be cost vs. benefit(s)

BEST !

RWS
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

Appreciate the detailed reply. Will have to see what the costs would be. We have to run 24 miles down blackwater bay, thru east bay and than Pensacola bay to get to the pass for our Gulf water fishing. Not a lot of traffic thru the bays but a little more bow down would give a little better view. I also was thinking if could get bow down a little more, or stern up, might get a knot or two better speed, but your experience seems to negate that possibility. So cost becomes a big factor. However there might be a time when the bow down would give us a better ride as well. Hmmm???