Proper winterizing

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Captrichc
Moderate User

Proper winterizing

Post by Captrichc »

Does anyone have any videos of the proper way to winterize an inboard engine. I've done many I/O. But no inboards.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
The Dog House
Active User

Re: Proper winterizing

Post by The Dog House »

Do you have fresh water or raw water cooling?
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

Fresh water.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
oldboat1
Sporadic User

Post by oldboat1 »

I used a Boatsafe bilge heater for a number of years with good results. Upper Chesapeake with fairly cold winters. Boat was left in the slip (used bubblers). Chris Craft with full camper cover.
Motors should run. People -- not so much.

1980 F26, Mercruiser 305
1979 14' Starcraft, 1957 18 hp Evinrude and '57 3hp Evinrude kicker
sluggo
Sporadic User

Post by sluggo »

Captrichc wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:57 pm Does anyone have any videos of the proper way to winterize an inboard engine. I've done many I/O. But no inboards.
I had a 10 meter Trojan Express? with twin 454, and it a closed loop system. I am in WV it got cold here so this is what I did, and it worked for the 15 yrs or so I had the boat.
Shut off the sea cock, and open the strainer. I'd take a 'winterization ' bucket of antifreeze with a hose an valve to shut off the flow of antifreeze. Put the hose into the strainer, start the engine, when it throws antifreeze out the back, shut off the engine, shut off the flow from the bucket. Put some antifreeze in the strainer, and you should be done. Some will argue that this isnt the proper way (for one there usually is a hose from the thru hull to the strained, so you should make sure some gets in there as well) , but it got cold here and I never had a problem.
Now for the record I used auto 'low toxic' antifreeze mixed 50/50 with water. It was hard to find, and expensive, but it says it was environmentally friendly and was not harmful to wild life.
Dont forget to do you A/C if you have it, head, and water systems!

the problem with relying on a heater is, if the power goes off you have no protection. And the power usually goes off when it is minus 20 or something!!
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river