f26 repower

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

charles

f26 repower

Post by charles »

does anyone have experiance w/ a more powerfull repower for f26? have 233 hp (351 ford) mercruiser now. considering 454 cu. in. crusader. any coments?
Paul

Re-Power

Post by Paul »

Charles,

Re-powering with a big block 454 is probably not the way to go. Although the bell housing and motor mount bolt patterns are the same as a small block Chev, the space required would not allow you to replace your hatch cover on an F-26. I replaced my 228HP 305 with a 300HP 350 which allowed me to go up in prop pitch. Top speed on this boat was not affected much but bottom end and mid range torque have improved dramaticaly.

Hope This Helps
Paul
Cruise Control
Ed Dippel

Post by Ed Dippel »

Hi Charles,

I repowered my 1976 F26 express about 7 years ago with a Marine Power 350 sportpac. It has 275 HP. I love this motor. The starter motor and all servicable parts are on top for easy access. It has double oil filters and double belts. The oil dipstick is attached to the bottom of the pan for complete and easy oil changes. I did have to order a special low profile high capacity oil pan so she would clear the bottom when installed. I just had an ace mechanic look her over. He was shocked when I told him it is 7 years old and has about 900 hours on her. He said, " I don't know what your doing for maintenance,but keep doing it. I would have guessed the motor is 2 years old". I change the oil every 100-125 hours and have used AMSoil for the past few years. Every mechanic I know swears by this AMSoil.

Stay with a 14X10 cupped 3 blade prop. The motor will only turn up to about 3900 R.P.M. . The engine installation recommended proping it to 4400 R.P.M........this is too much and you will lose a lot of speed. I had a 14X9 with the motor and she was very slow. A local prop expert set the prop back to 14X10 and said that there is no need to rev a boat motor that high in this style boat. My top speed went from 22 MPH to 29MPH and am using a lot less fuel and am sure the engine is not as strained.
Ed Dippel

Post by Ed Dippel »

A guy at our marina put a 454 in his 1976 F26 Trojan. It is very heavy and burns a lot of fuel. His top speed is supposewdly around 40MPH with a hydroplane racing prop (He should have bought a speedboat). He said that the hull gets very unstable at this speed and will jerk side to side violently if the bow is trimmed down.

The max rated speed for this hull I believe is 30 MPH. The 454 would have less strain to move the boat,but the extra weight and fuel consumption is probably not worth it.