Help Rebuilding 1976 mercuriser mie 233 raw water pump

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

wesm2

Help Rebuilding 1976 mercuriser mie 233 raw water pump

Post by wesm2 »

Hi this year I had a heating problem with my mercruiser 233, (Trojan F26) so I replaced the impeller that had failed. After the replacement I noticed my front bilge was running more frequently and so when I brought the boat in for winterizing I noticed there was a stream of water coming from a hole in the pump casing. It appears the hole is intentional and I believe it may be a weep hole.

I have attached 5 pics 4 of the pump and one of a parts diagram. My questions are What are steps to tear down the pump? Is the weep hole stream the sign of an inner seal failure. I have two manuals on the mie 233 but there are no procedures to pull the pump apart.

Rather than guess and create greater problems I thought I would submit this question to the form.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Here are the pics...https://photos.app.goo.gl/XVAdboAfisDep3wZ9
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Help Rebuilding 1976 mercuriser mie 233 raw water pump

Post by prowlersfish »

Your going to need a press after your get the clips out , yes the leak is a sign of seal failure and possible bearings
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
wesm2

Re: Help Rebuilding 1976 mercuriser mie 233 raw water pump

Post by wesm2 »

Hi thanks for your reply on my question. It`s not clear to me as how to remove the shaft in the pump. Is it pressed out? and then the clips are removed? There is a wear plate and I am unclear as to how to remove that piece. I have wondered that it comes out as the shaft is pressed out. It seems to me that although the diameter of the pulley attachment seems close that that piece should be pulled before the shaft is pressed through the pump housing. Is this correct in your opinion?