Y valve ???

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Y valve ???

Post by fighterpilot »

This is in the system connecting to the holding tank. Suspect it is a Y valve with out the handle. One hose comes up from the holding tank and than connects thru this device to two hoses. One goes up for pump out and the other goes to the hull for going overboard. There is a 3/8 inch diameter metal stem coming out of the device with a flat spot on one side, probably for a handle. I put vice grip pliers on it and tried to move it but no luck. Before I go further would like to confirm it is a y valve. If so assume one setting permits pump out at the dock and the other setting permits dump at sea.

I tried running the macerator-have to hold the switch on, spring loaded off. Could hear it run, but nothing came out the hull at that hose location, so either valve set for pump out at the dock, the holding tank is empty, or is there a neutral position for neither condition to be set? Just now though about that.??? Thanks
100_2874 (2).JPG
100_2874 (2).JPG (48.86 KiB) Viewed 3916 times
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Y valve ???

Post by prowlersfish »

Looks like it could be a y valve . have you tried taking the boat to a pump out and see what happens ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

It is 24 miles for us to a pump out station. We are going to take the boat over and have it hauled out, probably after Christmas, and at that time we plan on a pump out try. I note when I push the flush lever down there is water standing at the slide trap door, but that may be because the vacu-flush isn't working and the water is trapped there. Also considering running a hose down the pump out hose and attempting to pump with a wet vac to see if get anything. But since that goes thru this black device in the picture not sure if can get thru there and it is above the holding tank level so may only get fluid trapped in the hose. Don't really want to start taking hoses apart until hauled out. Also have got to see if it is even feasible to put in another, simpler system. Got to determine if can get gravity feed to the tank. Hoses appear to be 1 and 1/2 which bodes well since that seems to be the standard for the simpler toilets. Thanks for your suggestion.
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

Here is another picture showing the valve stem which is flat on one side. Another picture that shows the plumbing further on. I think I see a macerator pump on the bottom outgoing hose. The other hose goes up to the pump out station. Am I correct?
100_2928.JPG
100_2928.JPG (93.73 KiB) Viewed 3869 times
100_2926.JPG
100_2926.JPG (98.87 KiB) Viewed 3869 times
tcollins2
2024 Forum Support
2024 Forum Support

Post by tcollins2 »

1990 Trojan 12M International Express Detroit Diesels 6-71T's, 425HP
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

Thanks for the ID. I will go ahead and attempt to move to one side or the other. From the web link picture suspect the flat spot if parallel with the bottom of the valve. Will look at that and see if I can get an idea of which way it would move to be in the alternate position.