10 meter people load limit?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

fighterpilot
Sporadic User

10 meter people load limit?

Post by fighterpilot »

i know smaller boats have a limit as to number of people they can legally carry. There is usually a placard with the number on it. Lacking a number does the 10 meter express have a designated limit as to souls on board????
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 10 meter people load limit?

Post by prowlersfish »

Not a clue . Bob ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Boats 26 feet and longer are considered "yachts" and do not have a legal limit for passengers and weight. Since the 10 meter is longer than 26 feet there are no legal restrictions regarding the number of people and weight that is allowed.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

from the boats I have seen on Lake Minnetonka, it is at least 20 bikini clad young women. :shock:

I would keep it under 10 for any area that you need to deal with moderate or more sea conditions.
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

This question has been asked before about other large Trojans’s

I asked John Leed ( former Trojan Engineer ) He gave a good answer that I have heard others use.

A good rule for how many people on a cruise would be the number of places you have for people to sit if the weather goes bad.

The number of seats is your max number of people.
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by El L Sea »

We had 16 on our 12m sedan for the boat parade. I don't take more than 10 offshore fishing. But those are both function and comfort items. The boat is so heavy I have never seen a handling difference either way.
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

Appreciate the answers. I should be OK. Probably no more than 8 to 10, family, off Pensacola in the Gulf for fishing. We don't usually go if more than 2 feet but with this boat might try 3 feet. For the Blue Angels, Fireworks display, Christmas Parade, and Bands on the Blackwater will have 20 or so but in bay or river waters and the 20 will be a mixture of Adults and Children. Life jackets for all.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

20 ? Wow hope got the Vacuflush working
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

prowlersfish wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:03 pm 20 ? Wow hope got the Vacuflush working
Yeah, no sh--!

I dont like having more than 8 on my 36' tricab, bikini-clad or not. For one, i only have two hands. More seriously, as captain of the vessel, answering to the coast guard, how many people can you keep an eye on at once?
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

Haven't got the vacu flush working yet, but agree, lots of buckets, or something working. As to crew experience, I have had 5 boats over the last 15 years, the larger ones being a 31 foot Chris Craft and a 34 foot Californian. My son-in-law grew up on the water and has had boats all his life, working shrimp boats and fishing boats. Likewise his three sons whose families will make up the rest of the crew. Living on the water and with a house pool everyone swims and is comfortable with the water. Docked on Blackwater bay, for the last 30 years, where it takes a hurricane to make any waves of note, and the group trips are up the river which is a slow moving, sand bottom river here in the panhandle of Florida. Will do some "testing" at the dock with the crew by moving them as a group from side to side and fore and aft to see what the stability results are before we try a trip. Will have life jackets for all. As a matter of interest there were 15 jackets onboard when we bought the boat so those we add, will be for the young people.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

IMHO getting the head in order would be my first priority.

Have you determined the cause of the breaker tripping ?

Resolving this issue will certainly allow you to forge a- HEAD with the passenger list !

:)

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

Head is high priority, since wife and daughter are gung ho about fishing, but they are willing to use bucket if all else fails. Haven't figured out switch popping off. If the motor pumps vacuum but doesn't come on than suspect the motor itself is defective. I assume the head switch engages the motor I see inboard of the vac chamber. Have to crawl down in there with meter and do some probing.

Back on load limit. Some on the forum are talking about capacity also a weight consideration. Is there a weight capacity listed for the 10 meter express hull? I am going to have the boat hauled and get the weight as it is now and work with that number as well in considering load.
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

RWS, is yours the express? What is your experience with a load of people, however many that may have been. And what were the sea conditions with that load? I know that can be a big factor as well as the load. Apparently there aren't any other 10 meter express owners on the forum that are willing to discuss their experience. I have ordered Gerr's book on boats and testing done, and will also test the load at the dock to get some idea of situation.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Mine is the express

For me, passenger load depends on the event.

I will load differently for the annual Saturday Night Before Christmas Eve Boat Parade, www.puntagordaboatparade.com which is held entirely within the local canal system than say an offshore trip to 100' water for fishing, which is an entirely different animal.

I take the responsibility for the safety of my crew very seriously.

That's why I upgraded the three factory bilge pumps to 1500GPH

and added two entirely seperate, independently wired and powered additional 3500 gph emergency bilge pumps, one in the ER and the other at the lowest point of the boat at rest - the forward bilge.

In addition to these now 5 bilge pumps, I have fitted both diesel engines with simple ball valve crash pumps.

On top of all that, the factory bilge alarmsystem is tested regularly and is in tip top condition.

Your fuel tank at 242 gallons, full of diesel at 7 lb/gallon is 1,700 lbs.

Add 40 gallons of fresh water at 8.4 gallons to that and your hauling around OVER 2,000 lbs of liquid !

Add to that food, drinks, gear, spares, tools, beer, tackle, ice, a few watermelons, …. oh my

The number of souls you can safely haul aboard really depends on your TOTAL LOAD

The PUBLISHED WEIGHT is 12,500 DRY

THis is for a NAKED, EMPTY boat with no accessories, no anchor, anchor chain, genny, fridge, icemaker, deck furniture, spares, tools, fuel, waste water, fresh water, ice, food, drinks, yadaydayada

You must also conider SEA CONDITIONS. A trip out to the harbor for lunch on a calm day is TOTALLY DIFFERENT than going 30 miles offshore.

I don't know how well you know your own boat, but could you imagine what would happen if a hose blew off the exhaust riser as you began your return trip? The engine would VERY QUICKLY PUMP the bilge full of exhaust AND WATER.

What is your plan to deal with that kind of situation?

Suppose you had an elctrical fire out there?

If your prop picked up a floating line, do you have an underwater flashlight, mask, sharp knife and someone experienced enough to swim the boat and clear the line?

The reason you are not getting the textbook answer to the question of HOW MANY is because there really isnt any one answer.

Truth is it depends on MANY FACTORS, all of which are related.

I hope this helps you evaluate your equipment, the condition of the vessel and the risks that increased exponentially with the necessary fuel/water weight, and the actual condition of the boat and it's operating systems.

BEST !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
fighterpilot
Sporadic User

Post by fighterpilot »

RWS, thanks. Points well made. Our off shore trips will be for fishing and probably only 6 people or so. It is 23 miles down river and across the bay to get out into the gulf. And than only if 2 foot seas or less. With this boat might stay out if sea kicks up to 3 feet. Time will tell on that. In the past years never further out into the Gulf than 24 miles.

Now for the full crew, events keep us in the river or the bay, and usually other boats around.

At haul out next month intend to give the boat a good look regarding the hull, fixtures in the hull, and the hoses since I understand the risks involved with a failure. Appreciate you highlighting all the measures you have taken to minimize the risk.

Also, there is/was a member of the Hull truth forum that posted an article a number of years ago as rwsrws and one post included a copy of a review made on the 10 meter when it first came out. Very informative review and was one item that got me to look into the 10 meters as a possible buy. The stability at anchor and the way it handled a rough sea state were of interest to me.